Chapter 9: Grounded

I was exhausted. Yawning, I stretched my store muscles. Flipping over on my bed and onto my stomach, I reached down and patted the ground.

"Good morning Shae", I said still unwilling to open my eyes.

"Shae"? I patted again noting the lack of vibration. I opened my eyes slowly and started to blink away the dizziness.

"Who's Shae", a loud deep voice quickly pulled me into awareness.

"Owen"! I sat up quickly to see that I was laying on a bed of folded cloth on the side table next to Owen's bed. Owen was sitting on the beds edge, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees.

He looked over at me with a pitiful smile, "Hey stupid", he whispered. Though the words themselves were insulting, the tone behind them nearly broke my heart.

"You scared me for a while there", he said looking down at his hands before glancing at me briefly. I put a hand on my forehead as the memory of what happened came back to me.

Clearly, I was fine, but Owen looked a bit rough. "I--I'm so sorry if I worried you", I said shifting to my knees. I adjusted my lilac dress and panicked briefly before I felt the necklace still around my neck.

"Don't be sorry. But Ri, don't ever do that again". Though, I could hear the pleading in his voice, I had never seen him so stern.

I smiled at him not even trying to hide my sympathetic playfulness, "You're Welcome". He answered me with an eyeroll and a sigh, that ended with a gentle and patient smile. Glancing out the window I noticed the early morning light, MORNING?

"How long was I out"! I shouted at Owen and flung myself up, standing atop the bed.

"Yesterday and all night", he said straightening his posture with concern.

"O-O-H", I said with a shaky voice, "Shae is probably so worried"!

"Who's Shae"? He asked again, confused as he watched me clumsily step and fall off the cloth bed in a panic. I noticed how sore my back was as I jumped up quickly, noticing my lack of wings.

"My tree"! I answered him loudly before closing my eyes tightly and clenching my fists. Nothing. I tried again.

"Your tree"?

"O-O-H", my voice shook with a stress-drenched tone as I spun around frantically trying to see my back.

"What is it"? Owen asked sternly concerned before he watched me collapse back onto the bed of cloth covering my face with my hands. I grumbled loudly into my hands.

He chuckled, "Come again"?

I uncovered my face dramatically plopping my arms on the bed of cloth, "I can't conjur my wings". I turned my head towards Owen.

"You can't"? Owen scooted closer to me on the bed, no doubt hoping he just misunderstood me.

"No", I stood up nervously, "I exhausted my magic".

His face tensed, "Well, it was a pretty big branch".

"I kno-o-w", I said with a harsh breath as I internally scolded myself. My shoulders dropped as I hugged myself with my arms.

"Hey, Woah", he said, seemingly trying to break my trail of negative thought. The worry must have been painted on my face.

"You'll be okay. I can take you Ho-o—oh", he stopped himself knowing I normally avoid the location of my home, "I mean, you can stay here as long as you need".

I released a large sigh. "Owen", I said pulling his eyes to mine, "Thank you", I said as genuine as I could ever be. He smiled with a soft nod.

"And thank you...in advance...for your patience".