Chapter 29: Alm

Three weeks had passed since Owen and I had dinner with Mark and Meeks. I didn't think my heart could be more pleased until I saw how Owen blended seamlessly with the different areas of my life. He had joked around with Meeks and got along really well with Mark. Mark looked ecstatic when he and Owen found they had some common interests. Meeks told me a few days later that they had enjoyed themselves so much that 'we should make it a common event'.

Rob had slowly made jokes here and there about me being a 'fairy', which I would comment on truthfully. He'd just laugh and ask Owen, who would nonchalantly say "it's true", or "that's what she told me". There were times I could feel Rob was genuinely concerned for Owen, and I was pleasantly surprised when my fae empathy felt his concern for me. Even my ears weren't enough to convince him, and said they 'weren't pointy enough and it's a common birth defect'. 

Maybe we put it off, or maybe we just couldn't find the right time, but Owen and I hadn't said explained any further on my Faedom.

Owen had mentioned to me that he was going to leave early in the morning for the ever-elusive task he called 'fishing'. So, I woke in the late morning to a vast and empty bed. Just as the day we had met, I still didn't understand what this human term meant. I, however, did remember that it meant he would most likely be out with Shae.

I stretched with a yawn and didn't need much coaxing to get up to start my day. Especially since Owen conveniently forgot to take me with him earlier this morning—or even wake me for that matter. I huffed and rubbed my eyes as I floated over to the dresser.

I told him I wanted to go, I complained to myself as I landed next to my pile of clothes. He had tried to explain it to me, with terms like 'rod', 'reel', 'leader', 'Bass', and all different variations of 'Bait'. To be candid, I was so enraptured by his enthusiasm that I forgot to pay attention to his explanations. Anyway, I couldn't be too disappointed that he didn't wake me, seeing as I felt bouncy with rejuvenation. I pulled off my, or Owens, shirt that I had shrunken weeks ago—that refused to give back to him—and pulled on my onesie before I wrapped my lavender dress around myself. I turned towards the window and noticed a Ri-sized cup of tea on the other side of the dresser with a large horizontal folded yellow paper behind it that read: "Morning" followed by a symbol of some sort.

I huffed a gratefully, as I picked up cup of tea and warmed it with my finger as I scrutinized the symbol.

A half-circle below two vertical dashes... Huh. I wonder what it means. My head tilted to the side before I lifted the warmed tea to my lips. After a few minutes I dropped my inquiries and gulped down half of the tea before setting the cup down to brush out my mangled mess of golden-brown hair.

I needed to cut it. It was getting too long for me to manage at this point. When I first left Avalon, its length went just below my shoulder blades. Now? Now it was halfway down my back. After brushing it thoroughly I braded it back, tying it off with the spidersilk I had wrapped around my wrist for just such occasion. And I tied it right above where I wanted to cut it.

I flew out the window and towards my willow, zipping around the tree just before the dirt path. By the position of the star, I could tell it was nearly high noon and I was pleased to see that my speculation was correct as I dove down low to fly through the tall pale green grass towards the human holding a pole next to Shae at the pond.

I whipped around Shae discreetly, entering my old living space through my scout entrance.

Shae Creaked.

"G'morning Shae", I whispered as I landed on the mossy floor. I pulled my braid to the side as I made my way to my chest to look for my fae-blade.

Shae vibrated lightly.