Chapter 39: Vows

My mother's timidness was closely comparable to how I had acted when I had first met Owen. Though because of that we ended up pushing our night of dancing at the bar out a day, but we went, nonetheless.

Seeing me use the enchanted chain calmed her more than I ever thought possible. Once she saw that I was still... well, still me. She acted as if my mate was just another Fae.

Owen had closed the bar for that day to ensure that our time was private and undisturbed as we danced around the bar. Owen and I taught my parents how to dance like humans, showing them the steps from the dance floor that they repeated atop the bar. Mostly in preparation for the father-daughter dance, an experience Owen insured I wouldn't pass up. Alm didn't care to learn but was just as enraptured as I had once been when watching the riveting movements.

When the night came to an end, Alm, curious to understand the truck, rode with Owen back to the house. While I escorted my parents flight back to the apartment. I walked them both through the plans for tomorrow, as well confirming with my mother when to meet me at the house for wedding preparations. 

Owen escorted Alm out to Shae, and I left with him to go back to the house.  We made it home right before star down, and walked through the decorative arrangements, the vows, as well as the timing for it all. Though Meeks already had a list of everything and already had nearly everything set up, ready to go... I was really just trying to put off going to bed. 

"Goodnight", I called out from my darkened closet. The only light, came peaking through the cracked door to the armoire from the moon-illuminated masters room. 

"Goodnight", He sang out from the bed.

I hate this. I really hate this stupid tradition. I'm not fond of any tradition that would wedge distance between us... I huffed.

"Goodnight", I said again. More pitifully.

He chuckled with endless patience, "Goodnight, babe".

I was starting to grow sour about the tradition of sleeping apart the night before the ceremony. I didn't think I'd dislike it this much, and I was wrong. After an enchanting night of dancing and laughing with my family, the pull to be close to him was unbearable. But I had faced a dark user... 

Surely, I could conquer one night. Right?

Wrong. Flipping side to side didn't work. I tried sleeping on my stomach, and then tried my back again. Then, I tried sleeping on the stone floor. I didn't have this hard of a time sleeping since I was in the past. After hours, I gave in. I conjured my wings, and silently pushed on the cracked door to my closet. It opened silently, and I floated towards Owen.

I wrestled with myself for another five minutes, as I watched him sleep perfectly fine without me. Maybe it was the anxiety, or the nerves, or the excitement. Either way,  I puffed out in defeat knowing there was no way I was going to get any sleep if it wasn't next to him. I gently landed on his pillow, between his face and palm.

My wings faded into nothing as I fidgeted with my fingers, listening to the windy lullaby that was his breath. His face was peacefully sunken into the pillow, as I am sure his mind had sunken into the realms of sleep.

"Owen"? I said with a hushed tone, but he didn't stir. 

"Hey? Owen"? I used my normal voice. Though my intonation rang with annoyance, it was more so directed at myself then his inability to hear me.

His breathing hitched, as his eyes struggled to blink open. I glanced to the movement behind me to see his hand was raising to cup at my back as he woke. I turned back to the handsome face to see his brows creased as he peered at me with a sleepy scowl.