Chapter 18: Secrets

I knew we were mid-argument, but I couldn't do this without him. Whether it was possible or not, I felt I needed him. I flew through the dark night, my wings lighting up an inch around my vicinity.

I wasn't able to fly fast in the dark, but I made it to his house safely in about 20 minutes.

First, I checked the window to his room... closed. For the love of Fae! I cursed, and peeked through his window. He wasn't there.

I flew around to the bottom floors. And the lights were on inside. Normally I would land on the sill of the bottom windows, but something told me she was there. I landed on the window high above the kitchen. Sure enough, Lee was there. But that isn't what mattered right now.

Think, think. How do I get his attention without her noticing?

I tried waving, but with my wings draped behind me, not enough light emitted from them. "The light", I whispered to myself. I turned and flew back and forth in front of the windows low in front of the living room.

And that's when she spoke, "Did you see that"? Both of them had seen, but he knew it was me. Immediately, I landed on the fig tree, and waited for him. But he didn't come out, and I was on the verge of tears from both frustration and sickening worry.

I tried again, and brightly flew back and forth in front of the windows. But this time, only he saw. I landed on the ground below one of the windows, so I could overhear their conversation.

"Oh, I'm sorry, hold on. I just realised I left the water on in the Orchard" he said his voice growing louder, "I'll be right back".

I flew to the fig tree in the Orchard, and Owen stormed out. Noticing my glow, he walked up to me with annoyed and quick stride.

"What the Hell, Ri", he said angrily with a hushed voice.

"Owen, I know we are fighting right now, but I need your help". I pleaded breathlessly.

"Convenient how you need my help when Lee is here". His darkened features turned back towards his house, "Why don't you go ask Mark", the words sounding sour as he started to walk back.

"OWEN," I raised my volume, he stopped no doubt hearing my pleading tone, "Please, it's my father"!

He turned slightly to hear me out. "I got a message from him today... he's in trouble".

"I thought your Dad left when you were young", his tone was just beginning to soften.

"He did... He came here, and never came home. Owen, please, I think h-he's been trapped this whole time".

He looked up at me and walked back over as I continued, the light from my wings lighting up the features of his face, "I...I don't think I can do it without you... but I will if I have to".

"What did his message say"? He crossed his arms but his tone told me he cared more than his body language let on.

"That he's trapped in town called Victoria", my tone still weeping though my body remained strong.

He sighed and uncrossed his arms, "Okay, I'll... I'll tell Lee to go", he said before turning to go back inside. I quickly flew back to Shae, and packed my essentials, and flew back to Owen who was waving off Lee.

I flew inside the open door, and set my pack down on his counter. Not a minute later, he walked inside and up to me. His body language still showing remnants of stone.

"So, is that all you know"? His tone relaxed but worried.

"He sent me a message, but it was weak", I held out my arm and waved a hand to show it glowing, "but that just means I can feel him, his exact message said something like 'outskirts of Victoria, yellow house', BC. It was weak, so a lot of it I didn't get".