Chapter 35: Emotional

Owen hadn't planned on going into the bar today. That was, until I suddenly sprung the news on him that I had unknowingly flown through time, got trapped, and met his mother. I had been stressed out of my mind those three days I'd spent in the past. Consumed with thoughts on how to get back, if I could, and when I'd return, if  I could.

Now I'm back, and sitting in my clothing cubby staring at the letter I had sent my mother before I tumbled through time. Sitting here, I realized I hadn't returned to the exact moment I left. But it didn't matter to me. I was back with Owen, who was... something. Mad, hurt, resentful. All three? I didn't know. He left before I could understand it. But I knew I couldn't leave. Months ago, I would have retreated to Shae or the Mages Grove. But after getting a taste of what it would feel like if I couldn't return? Needless to say, the thought of leaving him was too horrible.

It had been hours already, with the darkness of night steadily growing like the weight on my heart. When would Owen come home? Would he return soon? Will I need to go find him? Will he still want to—no. He won't, I know he won't leave me. I reassured myself.

I exhaled a long deep breath, trying to release the racing thoughts from my mind. A bath. I needed a bath. I went three days without a bath. And after twiddling my thumbs for hours, deep in thought about what happened and how deeply I upset Owen, now I really  felt dirty.

I flew into the bathing room and flipped on the light switch before landing next to the washing basin and atop its counter. Normally, I would have relished in my ability to use the larger basin, and wash the way the humans do. But I knew I needed more than just a bath; I need I pool to lose myself in.

I stripped off my shrug and green silk coveralls. And then my chain. I hadn't even noticed that had returned to its usual spot around my neck. I exhaled, relieved to know it was still with me, as I flew to the lever behind the water spout. I pulled it, shutting the drain, before I pulled up the lever that controlled the water flow, to fill up the basin. As it filled, I landed on the counter and stripped off my undergarment. I habitually looked toward the mirror behind me, as I did before using the humans bath, but my sight was met with a wall of tile.

I was too small at natural height to be seen in the mirror from the counter. Honestly, I didn't mind it. I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to see how tired and restless I looked. First from the lack of sleep I had in the past, and now from my own emotional torment. I floated to the lever and shut off the water before I landed in the basin of cold water.

I sat down in the 'sink' where the water just barely covered my shoulders. My shivers turned into chills that traveled up my spine as I heated the water to a pleasantly hot temperature. The water partially steaming the mirror on the wall in front of me as I tried to relax.  I held my breath as I slid down into the water, completely submerging myself in the deeper part of the basin.

When I came up for air, I swam and then crawled back to my seated position, the water level returning to just below my shoulders. I scrubbed. Washing off my worries as well as any dirt. Though, the cleanliness of the water didn't change.  I realised I wasn't that dirty. At least, not physically. After scrubbing every inch of my body, the hot water seemed to melt away any residual tension. Soft pitter-patters drifted to my ears as I began to play with the water. With one hand I manipulated some of the warm water into life-size Fae that flew around in intricate patterns, similar to what I had seen at the Summertide Gala's. The soft trickling and tapping sounds I heard eventually grew louder into what I acknowledged as a downpour of rain.

I figured there was a slow leak with the drain, seeing as after 15 minutes, the water level had drained to just below my ribs. I reheated the water as I made my fae water-figurine dance to the resonances of the rain. She was skating and twirling along the surface of the water when the more immediate sounds of a larger being interrupted my choreography. My figurine stilled as I looked towards the darkened doorway and identified the noises as Owen, who by the sound of it, was walking into the house and hanging his 'keys' on their designated hook. Upon recognition, I pulled my knees to my chest and my attention back toward my dancing puppet.