Chapter 17: Broken Promises

FINALLY. Finally, the snow had melted, and the cold days began to warm up. Things with Owen became normal again, our interactions where the same. And though the reason for my nerves had shifted, everything was normal. Actually, I felt a lot closer to him, and I believe he felt the same.

In the short amount of time, a total of 11 months, he became closer to me than Marv. I even started to accompany him to the bar when Rob was working with him. I stayed out of sight of course. The thought of being seen by any human other than Owen rattled my nerves, but I usually felt pretty secure as long as Owen was close by.

Everything was great. Meeks visited me a lot, though I kept that from Owen. He didn't need to know that, especially because his observational skills would lead to questions I couldn't answer.

The few days I didn't accompany Owen, was purely because I was absolutely engrossed with this 'show' on a 'traveling channel', that would take me to many different places around earth without me even having to leave Owens living room.

With the warmer weather approaching, I was ready to start exploring more. My lightseal was no longer necessary, and after the Christmas I had with Owen, I could not wait to see where the warmer weather would take us.

My first goal was to see the coast that Meeks said was only a few miles away. She said she'd meet me there and introduce me to the man she was courting, as well as spend a day with me soaking up the 'sun'. Last week Owen said that today, Thursday, he would take me somewhere. And after months of keeping my friend a secret, and months of Meeks relentlessly asking to meet Owen.. Today... Today was the day I decided to ask him to take me to the coast.

"OWEN"! I sang loudly landing on his bed in front of his face. He didn't move, but I could tell he was just trying to ignore me. I walked up to his face and pushed on his slightly scruffy chin.

"Owen", I changed my tune to a whisper, and pushed on his chin again. "Owen, wake up", I whispered again.

He groaned deeply, as his eyes shut tighter. "Come on Owen, I have a very important question", I complained in normal volume. "OWEN", I said loudly pushing on his chin again.

He groaned, and I was suddenly wrapped his fingers loosely as he pinned me down on his pillow. I burst out into laughter and laughed out my words, "Ow-wen! Ow-en come oh-hon"!

"Shh", he mumbled groggily, "Ri-shh".

"Owen"! I yelled sternly and pounded a fist onto his thumb. He slowly peeked open his eyes and drew his head back to peer at me. I crossed my arms and returned his glare.

"Mmm", he groaned again and released me onto his pillow as he sat up. He cleared his throat and looked down at me with sleepy eyes, "Alright," he said with a hoarse voice, "What is it"?

"I want you to take me to the coast", I said excitedly as he crawled out of bed.

"The Coast"? He got up and slowly started down the stairs in his shorts. I flew down after him.

"Yeah, you said last week you could take me somewhere today... I want you to take me to the coast". I announced in delight.

He flipped the switch turning on his coffee, as I landed on the counter behind him. "That's today"?

"Well... yeah", my tone went soft.

"Oh, I'm sorry Ri. I told Rob I'd cover for him tonight, and its also booking keeping day so I have to get their earlier than normal". He poured himself a cup of coffee before the pot was even full.

"Owen... really"? I didn't try to hide my disappointment.

He turned around to face me, "Ri, I'm so sorry. I really am, how about next week"?