Chapter 32: The Great Christmas Mage

It was the coldest winter I had experienced yet, and so much colder than the 20 years I spent in Wintertide. It was like the month Owen calls 'December', was angry with us. Within it's first week, a blizzard shut down our little town. Regardless, Owen and I made good use of being locked in doors. He had taught me how to use the magic of the 'internet', and we discussed the details of our 'wedding', which we decided would be held during summer. 

Our Christmas festivities were put off for that week, but it only made me more excited for them. When the weather allowed us to venture outside, our first goal was to go pick out a tree! Seeing as I seemed to be more susceptible to the chilling bite of the cold as a Fae, this new experience was to be done in human form, especially since I didn't need to be in a pocket or dodge snowfall.

Decorating it this year was completely different being in human form, however the magic of the season hadn't changed in the slightest. If anything, it was more so. Every day I spent with Owen seemed enchanting in some form or another. We had been taking pictures on his 'phone', as well as with the device he called 'the polaroid'.

And since this winter season I had the ability to skate around the ice like the other humans, we did that too.

"Come on". He laughed breathily, holding out his hand to assist me onto the ice. My uneasiness was clearly portrayed through the tension in my body. I had just ineptly waddled my way to the ice field he called a 'rink' and reached out a quaking hand to his.

I slipped through my first step onto the ice, only to be caught and held up by Owen's seemingly endless strength. I giggled with bright eyes as he pulled me around the ice for an hour before I gained the confidence to try it on my own. He glided backwards in front of me with arms at the ready in the case that I should fall, again. Which I did... Again. And again.

The last hit to my rump left me wincing, and flinching at the humans that skated past me with speed.

I looked up to the bright and concerned smile in front of me, "That one hurt". I giggled awkwardly, as he pulled me up off the ice with ease.

"You'll get better, you're just trying too hard not  to fall", He couldn't help but chuckle.

"Yeah. Well," I giggled shyly, realizing that this time I didn't have a warm and enormous hand to break my fall,  "Let's just say, I now fully appreciate the security of your hand".

My comment seemed to give him pause as he shook his head with an adoring smile growing steadily across his lips. "You are so  cute", he admitted, before he nodded towards the exit, "Come on, let's get you home".

I huffed a sigh and matched his smile, as I allowed him to pull me towards the exit, more than ready to accept defeat.

On Christmas' Eve, Owen and I joined Rob at his sister's, Clair, for the festive dinner. It was a magical night, truly. I learned that I was what's called a 'vegetarian', which meant I didn't eat meat, and that Human children grow so swiftly. Darren was 6, and Miley, 2; After spending time with the younglings I realised their size and intelligence were comparable to Fae children around the ages of 300 and 150.  Although, I was slightly perturbed with Darren's lack of faith in the great Christmas Mage, I just brushed it off in light of Christmas spirit.

When Owen and I got home, we opened the gifts we had gifted each-other, which was our new tradition; Owen's first time opening gifts of Christmas' Eve was last year, with me. Owen's perfect gift was a Wildberry Tea, whereas I had knitted him a new head covering thanks to Robs assistance in obtaining the materials. Rob called it a 'beanie', which he explained had nothing to do with any sort of bean. After we danced for hours to the Christmas instrumentals, we both retreated up to bed where sleep welcomed us in a warm embrace.