Chapter Fourteen

It was rainy season, a thunderstorm was wracking its way through (T/n) and throwing a tantrum. Normally it doesn't rain for very long but instead comes in bursts and fits. So, why would I have been surprised when the one time I needed to leave, it had to have been pouring? I pulled myself from the couch, contorting my limbs into strange positions to make them usable again. With a shaky sigh, I glanced at the substantial process I made. It was frustrating since I couldn't continue until I retrieved the supplies to complete it; and unfortunately, it was at work. Putting down my things, I let my body fall slack in my chair, grumbling. There was no way I'd run through the current thunderstorm for it, not normally anyway. However, I didn't know exactly when this 'timer' of mine would run out, so I had to complete it before whatever was going to happen.

After some nasty innermost turmoil, I snag the raincoat off the rack and pull it around my figure. Pulling up the hood to protect my face from getting drenched I step out of my apartment and lock the door behind me. The hall was empty in the meantime, so I didn't worry about running into someone. As I reached the door to the front of the apartment, I took my umbrella off the umbrella rack, not excited about the prospect of getting wet.

Fiddling with my umbrella, trying to get it open, a thundering crack sounded; effectively startling me. Since my nerves had been on edge from recent events, I found myself getting startled much easier. Successfully opening my umbrella, I took a few hesitant steps out in the rain. Since it was so windy, the umbrella didn't do much and I found myself wishing I still had my car. After coming to the conclusion I needed the exercise anyway, I marched at a relatively fast pace down the route I took to work. I really didn't want to stay out here longer than I needed. It was cold, windy, wet, and it generally just wasn't a good idea to go out at night.

I felt a slight buzzing as I continued my way to work, feeling less anxiety than when I started. I think I felt liberated getting out of the house, even though it wasn't under the best circumstances. Truthfully, part of my inner kid jumped in joy at the prospect of large puddles and frolicking through the rain. Should I have been back in middle school, I probably would've thought this expedition to be fun. In a sense, I suppose it was; leaving the house in the middle of the night in the pouring rain to retrieve something from work? It definitely got my butt in gear.

The rain pitter-pattered against my raincoat and umbrella, my shoes much too wet for comfort. However, just as I rounded the last corner, a familiar illuminated building came into view. Finally coming so close to my destination I drastically picked up my pace, wanting to feel the sweet relief of a (somewhat)warmer place than outside. Splashing through the puddles, I made my way to the door, wiping my feet at the mat before entering.

The bright white light blared at me, my eyes having to adjust from the darkness. The lady at the front desk stared me down with wide eyes, clearly not expecting to see a semi-drenched crazy person run inside the waiting room. Folding my umbrella, I set it inside the umbrella rack before flipping down my hood. The lady's eyes flashed in recognition as she finally had a clear view of my face.

"Dr. (Y/l/n)? What are you doing here so late?" she asked, a part of me snickered, wanting to mess with her. Deciding to go for it, I said, "Running from a wildebeest, my comrade got caught up in battle, saying I should leave without him. I couldn't let his sacrifice go in vain, so bolted for it." She rolled her eyes at my statement before saying, "No, actually, Dr. (Y/l/n). I thought you were supposed to be on leave?"

It was my turn to respond, shrugging my shoulders at her statement before replying.

"I forgot my wallet." I could see the lady behind the counter rolled her eyes again. If she was any smarter she'd know that the last time I was here wasn't even a workday, I was in the hospital as a patient, so no, I did not leave my wallet here. "I didn't take you for one who'd leave their wallet at work, (Y/l/n)." she chided, playfully rebuking me for my 'carelessness.' I was glad she didn't realize I was lying, I didn't really want anyone to catch on to the fact I was bringing my work home. With quick goodbyes, I went on my way upstairs.