Chapter Fifteen

Fighting open my eyes I panic, the adrenaline rushing through me again despite my lack of deserved sleep. Immediately, I try to push myself up, but to no avail. Instead, I tried to survey my surroundings but immediately grew distracted as a rush of pain shot through my body. The aching in my wrist growing more prominent as I notice the way it's pinned awkwardly against a tree. Pinned against the bark of a tree with a thick chain, causing an awful grating sensation against my skin, as well as keeping me from going anywhere. The reality of the situation not fully sinking in, I tried my best to pull my wrist away from the chains that coiled tightly around the tree. Another hot flash of pain had me snap out of it. Finally coming to my senses I notice a paper slammed into the tree by a small hatchet. I immediately felt a deep sinking feeling in my gut as I recognized the stupid yellow sticky note. Despite my hesitance, I shifted to the best of my ability in order to read the note. Again, a messily scrawled message, reminiscent of a doctor's signature, dawned the fucking paper.

'Time's ticking, choose quickly.'

At first, I didn't exactly understand what they meant, but as I went to grab the hatchet, the paper fluttered to the ground, only to reveal the other side of the note.

'They say a doctor's hands are their life, but I wonder how true that is?'

My heart nearly stopped as I began to piece together what they meant. There were so many layers that I'd have to unpack just from that one note. One of them is that they knew I was a doctor, albeit not of the traditional sort. Next, was that they didn't give me the hatchet to defend myself; they wanted me to amputate my own fucking hand. Finally, something was going to happen if I didn't follow through with... that, though I wasn't entirely sure what. The fucker was testing me, that was the only thing I was sure of. I almost doubled over at the thought, that was if I had anything even left in my system. The whole situation was just so surreal.

Taking my free hand, I tried to pinch myself to see if I was awake; the stinging pain reminding me that this was reality. Planting my free hand in the ground, I grabbed a fistful of dirt before chucking it as far as I could. What bullshit. My eyes flicker to the chain that held my wrist and I slowly bring the hatchet up after gripping it in my hand. I needed to get out and I needed it now. Squeezing my eyes shut, I could feel the dried dirt and blood crinkle. I braced myself before taking the hatchet and using what little strength I had to swing at the chains. A loud clinking of metal sounding before opening my eyes, only to notice I'd done virtually nothing. I found myself trying to yank my wrist away in frustration, only to find myself hissing at the sudden increase in pain.

The motherfucker was at least prepared. I'd be insulted if they thought I wouldn't try that. However, I couldn't say I appreciated the amount of thought that was put into chaining me down... wherever here was. Taking another good look at my surroundings I tried to recall the events leading up to now. As I tried to remember, however, I felt myself growing increasingly frustrated. My accounting of the night beforehand was sketchy at best; bits and pieces floating here and there that weren't really useful. A few things did stick out to me though.

Where was I?

I wasn't in any recognizable forest, considering there wasn't a forest this big anywhere near (T/n). Not only that but where I'd blacked out last night was different as well. I'd remembered only making it a few trees away before falling into some thick mud, my vomit puddle still not too far behind me. Now I was chained against a large tree in a somewhat moist patch of dirt, my vomit nowhere in sight. Sure, the rain might have washed it away, but that still didn't explain the fucking monstrous tree that invaded my line of sight.