Chapter One

It seems as though it would be just another one of those days; the ones that seem to drift by painstakingly slowly. I had a sluggish start; waking up in the early hours of the morning, at around five o'clock, and merely laid there. Today, it had taken an unusually long amount of time for me to actually roll out from under my covers, even with my alarm clock blaring at me like an officious parent. I did, however, manage to coax myself out of bed (eventually), and thus left the warm sanctity of my blankets. Then I mentally prepared myself for the trug to the bathroom for my brief morning shower. The trek was a cold one, and, as expected, my "brief" shower turned into a thorough washing and scrubbing of my entire body, (taking an extra-long time to rinse, wash, and care for my skin). This was purely due to procrastination, however, the aftermath had smelled fantastic. After my shower, I wrapped myself in my warm towel and made my way back over to where my bedroom was, the cold floor sending shivers up my spine. For a while, I just sat there, atop my unmade bed, and spacing out at the wall. No real thoughts entering my mind, but the world slowly ticked by as I wasted precious moments. Eventually, the shivers had gotten to me and I felt a growing need for clothes. What a strange morning ritual I procured over the years... Hm.

I made my way down to my kitchen. Nothing too special. That said, it blended in with the other mundane rooms of my apartment perfectly. One would think, normally, with my doctorate's degree and stable job as a Prosthetist, I wouldn't be living in a shared apartment complex. This is untrue, however, as while I make quite the decent paycheck, it really has nothing to do with money. The reason I live in this apartment was mainly that I never desired anything more; that and because I found a strange comfort in having other friendly tenants to talk to when I returned from work. All of the residents, (landlord included), spoke with a sense of solidarity when I mentioned this. So, I can confirm that the other occupants also seem to agree with me.

Dancing around the tightly weaved , I make my way over to my kettle. It was a house warming gift, presented to me by my mother, (M/n) (Y/l/n). It had come in handy during my college and intern years, as I was a college student, desperately in need of sleep. Carefully, in my still somewhat delirious state, I filled up my kettle with some water and placed it on my stove top. Turning the burner on, I curse as the gas fails to light. It was a blasted old thing, probably still there from before the damn building was renovated. Thankfully, due to previous experiences with this, I now had lighters in my utility drawer. Swiftly, I grab a lighter and light the gas, this ignited quickly and then my water was on the boil.

I leave the kitchen to quickly tidy up my appearance as I wait for my water to finish boiling. While I had a coffee machine, the part that heated the water broke, so it does absolutely null now. I never seem to get around to replacing the old and broken things, despite having enough money to do so. The bubbling boil informs me of the stove's progress, and I leave to get other things finished. The cold floorboards creak in protest as I saunter my way over to the bathroom. The air is still damp and warm from my shower, fogging up the mirror. Taking my shirt, I wipe away a small place to see my reflection and brush back my hair. The crow's nest of bedhead is tamed and all the stray stands are back where they belong.

A loud wale ripped through the air as I stood in front of my mirror. It seems that the gate to purgatory is open, oh- no that's just my kettle. Swiftly trudging my way out of the bathroom, I switch the light off and shuffle through the living room into the kitchen. I take the kettle off the stove, reaching for my coffee pot and my favorite blend of coffee beans. I suavely make my coffee, before promptly drinking it in what seems to be less than a minute. I then grab a lovely apple to compliment my small breakfast. While I am a doctor, I'm not of the nutritional sorts. While I do know a few things about nutrition, I simply don't care enough to actually put them into practice. I can always wait until lunch to eat a proper meal.