the silent

Jim is the son of two of the richest people in London. His father and mother are chairman and managing director, respectively, of a multinational conglomerate company. He had a sister, Ava who was ten years older than him. Since both of their parents were barely home, she was the one taking care of her brother, she was almost like a mother to him.

When Jim was four, Ava and him were abducted by one of their parents' business rivals. They demanded their company to withdraw from the latest business deal it entered into, in exchange for the children. This event resulted in the death of Ava, and Jim becoming mute due to the trauma it caused.

After his sister's death, Jim decided to live his life for the both of them. So he devoted his time completely in improving himself and living the best way he possibly can. He took up contemporary dance, it being Ava's favourite, and she was amazing at it. He always used to see his sister perform and every time he felt that 'she looked ethereal while dancing'.

He kept his social interaction to the bare minimum and kept to himself most of the time, so his school life consisted of him just attending school and coming back. He didn't want anything to distract him from his goals so he didn't allow himself to have friends or attend parties.

His parents were ever so distant from him and he didn't really mind that, it was something he was used to, also due to the fact that he had a baby brother to spend time with. Tom was born a couple of months after that wretched day, so he never felt the void of not having a family by his side.

After graduating high school, he got himself enrolled in 'The University of Oxford' for the degree of 'Bachelors of Arts in Economics and Management'. He was supposed to work at his parents' company when he graduates, so this was the best choice.

During his second year of college, he created his first social media account. It wasn't to give people an insight into his life, instead, it was to upload videos of him dancing. Though this hobby started off just to honour Ava, at some point Jim fell in love with it, so he continued to learn contemporary dance. Now, he was confident enough in his skills to show it to others. He didn't want his parents finding out what he was upto, so he used to conceal his face by wearing a mask while filming his videos.

One day while scrolling through Instagram looking for inspiration, he came across a prose poetry which immediately caught his attention. He wanted to create a choreography based on it, so he messaged the writer asking for their permission. They said they'd be honoured if Jim did that and that they were more than happy that they could help him. After recording his video, he sent it to them and they loved it. One thing led to another and they became friends.

Jim never had friends before; acquaintances, yes, but they never went beyond that. Most of the people who approached him wanted to get close only because of his wealth, so he never really bothered making friends, he just considered it a waste of his time.

But this was different. They became friends with Jim because of who he is and not what he has, and he very much liked that. They talked about all sorts of stuff; from teletubbies to world economy to personal feelings. He could be himself with them and this is what friendship means to him; being one's true self without having a fear of being judged.

It's been seventeen years since that incident but Jim still couldn't regain his ability to speak. His parents did try taking him to various hospitals but the attempts remained fruitless. At this point, he has come to accept himself as he is and unlike his father, didn't think of it as a flaw.

He was almost done with his final year and was all set to join their company this summer. His bond with his online friend strengthened in the last few months and he really wanted to meet them, luckily, the feeling was mutual. So to give them a surprise, he took a flight to Athens, where they said they currently were, oblivious to the fact that there was a bigger surprise waiting for him.

JIMIN AS JIM

JIMIN AS JIM