WORTHY

"What?!", you couldn't believe your ears.

"You are one of the worthy souls chosen by the Gods to rule over the kingdoms of Anexártitos; the child of the prophecy."

All these years, you have been trying to find some meaning to your life, your existence but failed to come up with an answer and now, when you least expect it, it's being presented to you on a golden platter. Your existence has a far greater meaning than you could fathom.

You didn't know how people would normally react in such circumstances, but ineffable joy was coursing through your body. Your heart started rattling in its cage and a mild gust of wind tingled your skin like petals falling from a tree.

After dreading life for years, living only as a result of not dying - merely existing, you finally found a reason to feel alive and you could not ask for anything more. To know that your existence is not as worthless as you thought to be was enough for you.

Being busy with your own thoughts, you failed to notice that Iris has been silent for some time. Having been able to read your thoughts, she gave you time for yourself. She found it disheartening that a girl capable of so much greatness had been degrading herself because she couldn't fit into her society's concept of success. She thought it is pitiful how people on Earth were forced down a path according to the whims of others and ended up living a miserable life only because they weren't allowed to do what they want to do with their life because it is considered as "inferior" compared to the majority of the people. How can the value of something be decided on the number of people doing it? Aren't these the same people who say that success comes from going on a path no one has dared to go on before? Why are people forced to be like others and live a life knowing that the "others" they are trying so hard to be like are themselves flawed. They dislike being grouped together with most people but at the same time want to be a part of the majority, what kind of a paradox is this?

She thought it is sad how some people are not allowed to think for themselves and have to blindly follow a life that has been laid for them. But what she wondered the most was why so many people think that they have no choice, no voice?

But it wasn't her place to say anything about the mentality of humans, but she couldn't sit still and witness you downgrading yourself, "Look Y/N, I can understand what you are feeling, but remember this; a person's life doesn't become meaningful only when they have a purpose, their life becomes meaningful the moment they stop hating themselves."

You felt a pang in your heart, the guilt of hating yourself for years made your eyes water, but you didn't want to cry at least not in front of someone, it was something ingrained into your mind ever since you were a kid - don't cry, crying is a form of showing your weakness, so never cry in front of others.

"You are of immense value to us Y/N, all eight of you. Millions of people are awaiting your arrival, for you to take them out of their misery. So stop thinking of you as inferior and worthless and always remember this; you are not exceptional because you are the chosen ones - it is because you are exceptional, that you are the chosen ones."

Her words comforted you the same way the sunlight does on a cold winter morning, you could sense her warmth seeping into you and looked up at her with gratitude filled eyes, "I will be sure to remember it till I take my last breath."

"Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes, all thanks to you", you replied gleefully.

"That's good, and I am glad I could be of help,

Now moving on to the most important thing - You see Y/N, the reason we had to involve you, mortals, in the first place is because of a vow made by the gods. When the demigods came demanding for their kingdoms, The Olympians clouded by the love for their children, failed to see their motives and made a vow to them of never interfering in their affairs. They granted them complete freedom over their rule, hence came the name Anexártitos, meaning 'independent',"