PROBLEM

The first memory of Jean was an unpleasant one. The other kids in the orphanage envied him to the extent of continuously bullying him to reduce the chances of him getting adopted. A child with a swollen or bruised face as opposed to his originally handsome face, had little to no chance of being chosen by the couples wanting to take home one.

It didn't stop with just the kids; 'Elder', the person in charge of taking care of the kids would always blame him for getting beaten up and as a punishment, would lock the poor kid in a dark and dingy storage room in the basement, which had no ventilation and would always give off a mouldy smell.

No matter how much he screamed, cried or begged, no one would come to open the door. So Jean's earliest memory was of him desperately banging the door to be freed. Maybe that is why he grew up to be claustrophobic.

Whenever he sat down to meditate, these images would flash before his eyes, making him break out in a cold sweat. He figured that the only person who could help him out with this predicament was his master and decided to pay him a visit later this evening.

So, after dinner when Jean stood outside Chiron's office pondering whether he should go in or not, he heard his master call out to him from inside, "Mr. Jean, it has been eight minutes and you still haven't come to a decision. If this is your thinking speed then you will be gutted like a fish in a battle."

Though his Master's words didn't calm him down, it definitely encouraged him to push the door open, though out of fear. "I am sorry Master," he said, "I just didn't want to disturb yo-" Jean's jaw hung loose making him unable to finish his sentence for the room he had just entered was marvellous. Spanning over three floors, Chiron's office was different from any other room in this place. Huge windows now closed shut; the tinted glass paintings shining under the chandelier's light, bookshelves reaching the ceiling, the walls adorned with paintings and relics; they gave him a glimpse of Ancient Greece.

"Is something the matter Mr. Jean?" Chiron inquired.

"Ah, yes Master," Jean came back to his senses. "There is something that's bothering me and the only person who can help me is you."

Chiron looked intently at him, urging him to proceed.

"The thing is, everytime I sit down to meditate, certain things cloud my mind–the things which have happened to me in the past; some of them I had long forgotten about and when that happens, my mind gets enveloped in those unpleasant memories."

"No matter how much I try to resist them and bring back my focus, I can never seem to defeat it."

Once Chiron felt that Jean had said everything he had intended to, he started, "Alright Mr. Jean. I understand what you are going through but contrary to what you think, I am not the one who can get you out of this predicament."

Jin was taken aback, "but M-master,"

Chiron held out his hand, making Jean stop talking, "let me finish Mr. Jean. When I say that, I mean, you are the only person who could help you and the solution is in your question itself."

"The reason you can never defeat these memories is exactly because you are resisting it. You should accept your past, until you do that, it will forever haunt you."

"Master, I did accept my past. I have moved on and lived my life without thinking about it."

"Not thinking about something and coming to terms with it are completely different things Mr. Jean. What you have done is suppress those memories and that is mainly why you are still claustrophobic because there are remnants of those feelings inside you."

"Your past is as important to you as your present and your future. Only when you learn to accept your flaws, your shadow, can you completely be one with yourself and until you fail to achieve that, you can never unlock your powers," Chiron finished.