5. Volatile

Ash and Larry exchanged phone numbers with me at the end of class, and the rest of the school day went by smoothly. I took my time walking home.

When I reached my apartment, nervousness filled my veins. I haven't spoken to my grandma since our argument, and my grandpa was already exhausted from dealing with me. I can't imagine how he must feel.

I quietly stepped into the apartment, and dropped my bag by the door. I walked into the living room, sighing once my eyes connected with my very tired looking grandfather. He stood quickly, and made his way to me.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-to punch him, he just kept saying horrible things and-" he cut me off by pulling me into a tight hug. My breath hitched once I realized what was happening. "I'm-I'm sorry I've b-been so difficult" I sobbed, burying my face into his flannel button up. He hugged me tighter, rubbing my back as I broke down.

"I know sweetheart. I'm not upset" he cooed into my hair, planting a kiss on the top of my head. "I love you honey, I want you to know that".

"Is grandma still mad at me?" I whispered, looking up at him. He had tears in his eyes.

"Your grandma was never mad, she was scared for you, honey. She thought you were losing yourself" he let out a deep sigh. "We both did".

"I think I was starting to".

We separated from the hug and moved to the couch. I put my legs in his lap, and he pulled on my toes. "You haven't let me do that since you were eleven" he laughed. His face had so many emotions written across it.

"I'm not so ticklish anymore. But I'll still kick you" I joked back, pushing my foot into his side. He gave me fake insulted gasp before grabbing my foot and poking the center of my sole. I screeched, laughing uncontrollably as he kept poking despite my resistance.

"You still are, you baby" he chuckled, and freed my poor foot from his grasp. We sat in pleasant silence for a moment before he spoke up again.

"So why did you punch that kid?"

The rest of the evening was spent watching shitty tv and talking about how school went, including everything about my new...friends.

Friends. Friends. This was unfamiliar territory.

"So you actually apologized like I asked? Color me surprised!" He teased, gently nudging my arm. I stuck my tongue at him.

"I was very high when I did it so it wasn't a great apology" I mumbled, looking back at the tv.
"How'd you manage to get weed?" He raised a brow.
"Secret stash, from the old house".

"You are your fathers daughter alright". He hummed. My grandparents didn't care about weed, as long as I didn't smoke it in the house. They weren't always so lenient, but after my mom and dad started dating they learned that weed was nothing to worry about.

"As much as I hate to say it, I'm glad you're finding enjoyment in your old hobbies again" he smiled. "Speaking of, where's that guitar at? I'm surprised you haven't played yet"

"It needs new strings-" I shrugged, flicking through the channels absentmindedly. "-and I need a ride and money to get it fixed." He nodded in understanding.

"How about this, you finish this week without anymore fighting, and I'll take you wherever to get it fixed". I gasped, bouncing in my seat.

"Really?! It's kinda far, and I don't know how much it'll cost! Are you sure?" I babbled on and he laughed.

"Calm down (Y/N). I'll pay for it and everything. Don't worry". He patted my shoulder, giving me a sweet smile. I returned the expression.

My grandma finally got home from her late shift at work, setting her purse on the kitchen the counter without even realizing I was present for once.