18. Highs and Lows

Early morning light etched across my face, waking me ever so pleasantly. Breathing deeply, I rubbed my eyes, blinking away the remnants of sleep. I allow myself a moment of calm, before finally facing the position I was in.

Sal and I...kissed last night. We kissed.

So, does that mean he actually likes me back?

Why does this not feel as good as it should? I should be ecstatic, right? Why do I feel so anxious then?

He's sleeping peacefully next to me, his chest rising and falling in a soft rhythm, and my heart swells with admiration at the sight. Yet thinking of him returning my affection, liking me the way I've been hoping for, it's terrifying.

I want this, I want him, I know this. I feel it so deeply. Why do I want to run away?

I slowly lifted the blanket off my body, sliding down to the bottom of the bed and stepping off silently. A soft groan slipped through my lips as a familiar ache rushed down by leg.

Tiptoeing across the fuzzy carpet, I threw on my hoodie and gathered my clothes, pocketing my phone before leaving the room.

I feel bad, terrible. But this anxiety—it's eating me alive. I have to leave.

The living room was silent, save for the soft snores from an unconscious Larry sprawled out on the floor. Ash was curled up on the couch, her long brown hair blanketing her face.

My face scrunched with guilt. I hate knowing how confused everyone will be when they wake up. I cause enough drama as it is.

Ugh.

With a shake of my head, I left as quickly and quietly as possible, making my way back to my dreaded apartment.

"You're home early," My grandma meekly spoke, testing the waters. "I thought you were staying all weekend?" She had a look of concern reflected in her dull bluish grey eyes.

I rolled my eyes. "Decided not to." I quipped bluntly, quickly kicking off my shoes. I retreated to my room without another word. My safe haven.

My room was depressing, with little light coming through the cracks of my closed blinds. It was stuffy, and not very pleasant. No wonder I've been feeling so low.

I ripped open the blinds, flooding the small room with sunlight, and cracked open the window for fresh air. Breathing in the cool spring breeze with the sun shining on my face felt invigorating.

Maybe I should go for a walk? No, my nerves have been acting up again. Don't want to risk it. I bit my lip, thinking of how to pass the time. It won't be long before Sal wakes up and notices I'm gone.

Ugh. What is wrong with me!? I like him! A lot! I just had my first kiss with the man of my dreams, and I ran away?!
Why do I feel so scared to be with him?

I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration. The universe finally gives me something good, and I turned it down.

Hiding under my blankets forever sounds good right about now.

Before I can even sit my butt on the edge of my bed, my phone buzz's in my hoodie pocket, scaring the living daylights out of me.

Oh gosh. Do I check it? I don't really want to, but I also do.

Just a peek shouldn't hurt, right?

I slowly pulled out my cell, swallowing before looking down at the message illuminating the screen.

Sally: where'd u go?