10. Revelations

*TRIGGER WARNING: VIOLENCE*
*(Y/N) POV*

I sank into my seat across Ash and sighed, tapping my pencil in a spastic rhythm. Larry had already fallen asleep, leaving me to wonder about his grades.

Ash tapped the table where my eye line had fallen, snapping me out of thought.

"Yes?" I whispered, tilting my head at the smile Ash was sporting.

"So....Sally and you, huh?" She teased, poking me with her polished fingernail. My cheeks burned, and my mouth hung open for a moment before I finally willed myself to speak.

"I- what?" My face had confusion written all over it, and Ash giggled.

"Don't even deny it, (Y/N)! You like him~" she cooed, sticking out her tongue. I covered my face in embarrassment.

"Okay so what if I like him? He already likes...someone." I buried my head into my arms, too embarrassed to look at whatever expression Ash had. Did she not know? That Sal has a huge crush on her?

"Uh yeah, you!" I peeked at her and she rolled her eyes. "He's so into you, I don't know how you can't see it."

I flashed a disbelieving look, and wrinkled my nose. "He doesn't like me, Ash. He just cares about his friends."

She let out a defeated sigh, throwing her head back for a moment. "You're both hopeless." She groaned.

That was the end of the conversation, since I decided not to participate anymore. I focused all of my attention on my work until class ended to avoid thinking about what she said, and that's how the rest of the school day went.

I walked home alone as always. The gang invited me to go home with them, but I liked getting lost in thought on my walks to and from school.
After a bit of walking, my mind started to drift. Each new step I took sounded less like sneakers on pavement, and more like boots crunching on broken glass.

It got louder, and harder to ignore, until it was all I could hear. I looked down at my shoes, only to find my bare feet on hardwood flooring.

No
This isn't real

The faintest sound of crying filled my ears, and I stared at my exposed toes hard, refusing to look up. I knew what would be there.

My body was frozen in place, my eyes watering as I was too scared to even blink. I already went through this, why must I go through it again?

I felt my head get yanked back, forcing me to face what I feared the most.

My mom and dad, tied and gagged. They were on their knees in front of the fireplace. A man in a hood stood behind them, pointing a hammer back and forth between them.

This isn't real. I'm walking home from school. None of this is real.

The first swing caught me off guard, just as it did the first time. Blood sprayed my face as my father fell forward, his head leaking blood.

I choked out a sob, shaking violently as the man hit him again,

and again,

and again.

I wanted to vomit. The smell of flesh and blood filled my nostrils as my dads skull was beaten into mush. My mom screamed through her gag, tears running down her now bloodied cheeks.

The other man, the one behind me, gripped my jaw to hold me in place.

"You don't want to miss the show!"

I finally broke free from the memory, when a truck honked at me for being in the middle of the street.

I looked at my surroundings, and let out a ragged breath once it was clear I was back in the present.