13

13

Shivangi put on her best puppy face as she chanted, "Please ma please ma please ma." imitating certain someone.

Her mother who donned a stern expression broke into laugh. "Idhu enna Ashwin maari cheiyunadhu?"

(Why are you mimicking Ashwin?)

Shivangi ignored her mother's comment and kept on chanting the same to the point of driving her mother to annoyance.

"Kadavule!" her mother held her head. "Aiyoo!! seri."

(Oh! God! Fine.)

Shivangi stopped talking and looked at her mother surprised.

"Seri ah?"

(Really?)

Her mother sighed deeply. "Appa permission tanda seri."

(If your dad agrees.)

Shivangi immediately turned to her father who was audience to all her drama. He nodded his head in no as soon as Shivangi's gaze fixed on him.

"Appaa!!!" Shivangi whined. "Ippo enna problem unaku? Two days dana."

(Dad! What is the problem? It is only two days.)

Her father turned a deaf ear and walked out of the room with a disgruntled Shivangi following him.

It all started two days ago in their CWC whatsapp chat group. It was Pavithra who said she was missing everyone. Soon one by one started sending emotional messages. Shivangi wasn't sure who started the plan, but by the time she was back from her exams one day, her private chat as well as group chat was fired up with messages asking her to confirm if she is up for the two day getaway with the whole team to a resort on the outskirts of Chennai.

Shivangi was super excited by the idea. She missed each and everyone and any excuse to spend time with them was welcome. However, what she didn't anticipate was her parents saying no.

They had two concerns. The first one was obvious, corona. The second one was sending away Shivangi alone for two days.

Shivangi was appalled by their hesitation. Everyone involved in the cooking show was family. She had a father figure, mother figure and numerous brothers and sisters in the team just like any real family. So, she couldn't understand why they would say no.

"Shivangi ipdi ellam nee taniya ponade illa." Her father reasoned sitting on the couch.

(Shivangi you have never been alone anywhere.)

"Aama, but eppavum apdiye iruka mudiyuma? Adhu dan avanga ellarum irukangale. Two days dana?"

(Yes, but I can't stay this way forever. Everyone will be there with me. Only two days.)

"Avanga ellarum irundalum un mela 24*7 kannu vechute va irupanga? Adellam appa amma mattum dan panna mudiyum. Unaku idellam palakam illa. Unna yaar paathukuva?"

(Even with everybody there, no one will keep an eye on you 24*7. Only parents will do that. You are not used to all this. Who will take care of you?)

Shivangi knelt down before her father. "Ashwin irukaru illa? Avar paathukuvaru. Anniku avar kooda dana party ku anupaneenga? Aprom Pugazh anna, Rakshan anna, Mani akka ellarum irupanga." Her father didn't look convinced. "Shakti veetla viduranga. Avanukum en vayasu dana."

(Ashwin will take care of me. The other day you sent me alone with him to the party, right? Pugazh, Rakshan, Mani everyone will take care of me.)