17

17

Sam fidgeted his fingers while staring at the shoe lace. Shivangi sat leaning on the wall with a pillow on her lap. Her elbow rested on the pillow and her face cradled on her palms while she waited for Sam to speak.

"Ennada nee edho yosichite iruke. Pesave maatingara." She complained

(Where are you lost?)

Sam lifted his head and looked at her.

"Naan edhadhu tappu pannitena?" he asked

(Did I do something wrong?)

"Yen apdi kekara?"

(Why do you ask that?)

"Illa nee modhala maari en kooda pesaradhe illa. Adhu dan."

(You are not talking to me the way you used to.)

"Apdi ellam illa."

(That is not true)

"Illa enaku ennamo nee enna avoid panrayo nu tonudhu."

(I feel as if you are avoiding me)

"Nee yen friend da. Naan yen unna avoid panna poren?"

(You are my friend. Why will I avoid you?)

"Appo naan verum friend dana Shivangi?"

(Am I only a friend to you?)

He finally asked her what has been in his heart since forever.

"Friend dana." She said. "Vera enna?"

(Yes, you are)

Sam knew he has to say it to her. It is much better than holding it inside him.

"Naan unkitta onnu sollanum. Romba naala nenachutu irunden..." Sam began.

(I have been meaning to tell you something since long...)

"Solladha, Sam." Came her quick reply

(Don't, Sam)

Sam looked at her surprised. Her eyes and tone held a severity that he hasn't seen before.

"Nee enaku neraya help panni iruka. En kooda eppavum ninnu iruka. Naan ennikum adha maraka maaten. Aana ippo edhadhu sonnaina, namba friendship ku artham illama poidum."

(I have helped me a lot. You stood by me through thick and thin. I will never forget all that. But, whatever you want to say might ruin the meaning of our friendship.)

Sam clenched his hand and looked down at his shoes again trying to control his emotions.

Silence spread in the room for few minutes as they both sat staring at nothing in particular trying to ease off the awkwardness.

Chair that moved when Sam stood up was the first noise to break the unease.

"Naan kelambaren." He announced.

(I am leaving)

Shivangi only hummed her answer.

Sam exited the room, but returned a minute later and asked, "But namba ippavum friends dana Shivangi?"

(Are we still friends?)

"Eppavume." She assured him

(Always)

Shivangi held her head in her hand as the emotions she felt while Sam was here overwhelmed her. She was not used to any complicated emotions. This myriad of emotions her friend left her with was too intense.