Mild Surprise

It had been about a week since the initial incident and you had been having nightmares.

every. Single. Night.

The dream began with you opening the door, transitioning immediately to the bloodied hands you wished were not yours. Afterwards, the tale morphed into the time you had sunk a hammer into that man who had watched you burn your television to ashes. Then, it would changed again to... other situations which had come up.

As much as you hated to admit it, you had done a little more than one thing now. You were scared of yourself slightly, also scared of the fact you could be considered a threat; a serial killer, in fact. Actually, you had been gradually getting used to the bad dreams and cold sweat.

At least that was the case you finally snapped.

This time, you couldn't take it.

You panted and puffed as you sat bolt upright in your bed, pouring rivers and streams of salty sweat. It was all just a sick illusion, but you swore the smell of metal grew more potent. Your hands gripped at the sheets around you, the fabric balled into crumpled, hot balls that strained under the incredible force. Your hair was irritating to your skin, body shaking as you tried to look around. It was still dark in that early morning way. Though the screen of your phone lit up conveniently at the same time you glanced over at it, eyes coming in and out of focus.

The time was displayed, letting you know that it was around five in the morning. There were multiple notifications lighting up the lock screen, letting you know there were things you needed to look at. Every night you had taken the time to play video games and stream, letting your mind wander elsewhere. Even when said games often involved killing, none of it was as bad as what you had experienced yourself.

There was only one large issue with that experience, that was that no one knew except you.

You often thought about turning yourself in, that or simply telling another. Drake was simply out of the question, he was a great friend but believed too strongly in moral justice, he was someone who would go and turn another in himself. Friend or not. It hurt you almost physically knowing you had to keep something from someone you loved, even if it was something bad. You hadn't seen him in a while either and that was beginning to get to you.

However, there was one thing that traversed your mind as you had walked to your bathroom to take a shower. The water was always calming, you felt as if it washed away all the blood and the sin of which stained you. Even if that tainted blot on your soul stuck no matter how much you tried to scrub.

"Things happen for a reason, pipsqueak."

Him.

Kid wasn't someone you had known long, a bit less than a month, give or take. He was an angry man; impatient, scowling, rough, tough, direct and most of all, intimidating. Yet for some reason in some place of your mind, you were convinced he was there for you. While his usual talk was indifferent and self-benefiting, he sometimes said things that really made you think.

You wondered if he would mind if you rocked up to the garage a little before usual business hours.

~~~

Change of plan, you were going in another direction.

The sun was now rising above the city, flecks of light bouncing off the high rise buildings and reflecting down upon you and your car. You sped along the main road, heading off to a part of town you hadn't even been before.