Silent Heartbreak

The time had come.

Since Kid lived on the opposite side of the strange city to where you once did, and Drake did too, the drive was long. However, for some reason, it felt even longer. Worries ran through your head at a million miles per hour, each one making you more and more tense to the point that you were squeezing the steering wheel.

The car you were in was actually Kid's red truck, something you actually failed to notice when you set off. You had gotten so used to riding with him in the truck that you literally picked up his keys and left in it. He wouldn't mind anyway, he wasn't at work today and if he needed to go anywhere, he could use your car.

Despite having done the same thing what felt like a thousand times - parking, getting out and strolling up to the café's door - this time felt different. You could hear your heart pounding nervously, in the way which felt guilty. Your hand almost hesitated on the antique doorknob, clammy with sweat and trembling lightly.

You knew you looked a mess even when you were freshly showered and changed, small rings under your eyes. That's just what happened when you were a streamer and because of last night's late evens, but this time it was like it was from other things. Things like anxiety built up over time.

"Hey!"

Putting on your brightest grin possible, you strode over to the table which your dear friend sat at. His lips curved into a smile when his eyes met with yours, following you as you sat down before him.

"You alright?" He asked.

You nodded. "I'm good! You?"

Drake slid across the menu which was previously in his hands. You thanked him, picking it up. Although, you had no idea why he did that when the both of you always had the exact same thing.

"I'm decent, work keeping me busy." He hummed, eyes flickering over your face.

He reclined slightly in his chair, getting comfortable whilst you sought out a waiter.

You could feel the smile aching at your cheeks. "Great to know you're alright. How's Hawkins?"

"He's good. But hey, I found a new show I know you will like."

The two of you engaged in small talk while waiting for your things to come. You sipped on your milkshake while you spoke, sometimes laughing at his jokes and shooting one back. Though you were enjoying it all, there was one thing you simply couldn't stop thinking about. How had he not brought up the thing about your stream background? You mentally shrugged it off. What use was it to dwell on it and worry when he clearly wasn't going to touch on it.

That was a good thing, after all.

"Oh yeah, and since when did you get rid of the trash-mobile? You didn't tell me." He said, chuckling.

You paused at your usual inside joke.

The stop wasn't long enough for him to question it, his eyes on the truck outside of the window as you glanced up at him. You had to tear your gaze from his face to join him in looking at the vehicle; Kid's truck. There was the truth that you didn't want to say, and then there were lies. Even when you didn't want Drake to worry, lying to him wasn't in your morals.

Bending the truth, it was.

"Oh, it's a friend's." You answered simply.

His eyebrow cocked. "A friend? Who?"

Your sucked your lip between your teeth nervously, chewing on the skin.

"Just..."

His eyebrow raised higher as he looked back at you. Of course, you literally only spoke to him and Hawkins so that seemed a little out there. Clearly you weren't doing well to think this through as he cut through your train of thought and deduced things for himself.