Chapter 27 - The Event Part II

Bakugou's tantrum and early exit were interrupted by All Might who blocked him at the door. "What's the hurry, young one?"

"Get outta my way, old man," Bakugou threatened. "I'm leaving this shitshow."

All Might chuckled. "I had a feeling this wasn't going to be your type of setting. I'm not really one for public events, either, but I have a feeling you'll want to stick around a while longer," he hinted, pointing towards the front of the room.

On the stage at the end of the event hall, Aizawa was climbing up to the microphone. His usual messy hair was tied back in a neat ponytail and he wore a fancy suit. Bakugou had only seen his teacher in formal attire once before. The difference was unsettling, but his facial expression remained the familiar tired countenance. "If I could please have everybody's attention..."

Bakugou sighed at All Might, silently agreeing to stay for the message, but he planned to leave as soon as it was finished. He slumped against the wall and crossed his arms impatiently, waiting to hear the speech.

"I'd like to thank all of you for being here. Our students have worked very hard to make names for themselves, and it's rewarding to see them finding agencies where they can contribute to society." Bakugou rolled his eyes, but All Might nudged him to keep paying attention.

"These past few years, I've had the opportunity to work with our next generation of heroes, and I can say without a doubt that they are going to change the world. I've never been more proud, and I hope you can see what I see in them."

Bakugou heard a sniffle, and to his left he spotted Deku tearing up. "Get it together," he grumbled. 

"It's been a long journey. They've given so much to enter this field, and they all have so much potential. Every single one of these students is going to contribute more than we'll ever understand. With their abilities, they'll save lives."

The room erupted in applause, and Bakugou felt pride at his teacher's words and the praise from the agencies around him. He did deserve recognition for his contributions. 

"Before I let you return to the event, I'd just like to say that any one of these kids would be an incredible asset for your agency. Thank you for your time." He left the stage after a slight nod of the head, disappearing into the crowd again as the volume returned to normal. There was music playing now-- some background jazz that made Katsuki want to puke.

After Aizawa's speech, the agency representatives seemed to flock to him and his peers with newfound vigor. He had previously been able to avoid conversation, but it was futile now. Stuck up old men were picking him out of the crowd as the winner of several events, remembering his spiky blonde hair and ugly aura. Even Best Jeanist returned with a compliment on his suit. The reminder of Y/N sent a jolt of guilt to his chest.

He felt like he had been socializing for hours, and his energy was almost all depleted. He was starting to get cranky, and Kirishima had to pull him away from a conversation that was growing increasingly confrontational (they had said something about putting him in a partnership with another hero). "Mina has alcohol if you want some," Kirishima whispered. "The liquid courage helps."

"I don't need that shit. I'm fine," he growled, but even as he said that he felt a wave of exhaustion pass through him. "When does this fucking party end?"

"I think in an hour or two, but the gang wants to go out for food after this. You gonna tag along?"

Bakugou scoffed. "What, so I can parent your drunk asses? No fucking thanks." He looked around, assessing the room. "I'm getting out of this hellhole. Don't snitch or I'll kill you."