Chapter 39 - She's Busy

A voice echoed in Y/N's head; the same voice that had been giving constant updates throughout the mission. "All For One has been apprehended!"

They had done it.

It had been a grueling fight; the execution of the plan had taken 3 hours total, and they'd been in active combat for most of it. Y/N's muscles were screaming at her. It had been a long time since she'd pushed herself that far, but she'd loved every single second of it. She was back on the field, and for the first time in a long while, she felt powerful again.

She was Whirlwind again. It was an addicting sensation. She'd missed it.

Y/N spotted Uraraka and Deku amongst the crowd of heroes, pushing her way through to reach the familiar faces. When they saw her they both gave her a proud smile and rushed to meet her.

"You were incredible, Y/N! You were all, fwooom! shwish! whaaaa!" Deku cried, mimicking the moves she had performed. "Your quirk is amazing!"

"Are you kidding? You're the one who took down, like, 20 villains at once!" Y/N gushed. "It was insane!" She turned to Uraraka, pointing at her suit. "The wings! Do you like them? Did they–"

Uraraka squealed. "I loved them! I've never been able to move around like that before, I felt unstoppable!" She threw her hands up in the air, and Deku looked at her with an expression that could only be described as pure love.

Someone tackled her in a hug from behind, and she knew immediately who it was. "You killed it out there, Red Riot," she said, turning around and slapping Kirishima on the shoulder.

He positively beamed at her. "Not so bad yourself, Miss Whirlwind," he said. "Very manly."

Across the room, Y/N noticed Hawks, a small smile on his face when they locked eyes. Y/N let herself smile back. Hawks looked around before making his way over to her.

"You did great out there, Whirlwind. Like always," he said, his arms folded across his chest. "Good to see you back on the field."

"It feels good to be back on the field," she admitted, looking down at her gloves. "Didn't think I'd miss it this much."

An awkward silence passed between them before he spoke. "You can come back, you know."

Y/N looked up at him, not knowing what to say.

"If it were up to me, I never would have let you go. Hawks Agency will always have a place for you if you want it."

~~~

Bakugou was waiting in the front room of the precinct, nervous with anticipation. They were going to be returning soon. He was going to see all of his friends again... and Y/N. He didn't like that they had seen him while he was weak, that he couldn't join them in their fight. He should've been there. He should've been there to protect them... protect her.

He knew she didn't need him to protect her anymore, but that instinct was difficult to shake off.

Other officers and officials were waiting in the room with him, talking excitedly amongst themselves. The plan had worked and there were only a few minor injuries. The chief of the department had prepared a feast in celebration, complete with drinks and music. It didn't look much like a police department anymore, but more like a middle school dance. It made Bakugou nauseous.

He'd said no to a glass a punch, but someone had handed him one anyway, and now he was holding it awkwardly in the corner of the room. He'd gotten changed earlier. It felt nice to be out of those shitty medical scrubs. The only remaining evidence that he had been injured was a bandage on his cheek. It made him itch.