Chapter Twenty-Six | Orphans

Chase

The last week of holidays passed by in a blur of studying and revising for a few topic tests coming up. The second week of October, on a cold Tuesday morning we returned back to school. We stayed behind and were given a speech by our principle.

"As you all know Year Twelve have finished school and only have their HSC tests left to complete in November, which means that this is your first official term of Year Twelve. This is a serious year and should be treated seriously as your marks do determine whether you will go to university or not. I do not want mucking around now that you have a year left of school and that your year group is the oldest one. I expect all of you to be responsible and not to muck around with your peers but instead help each other. Have an enjoyable last year," he smiled and walked away.

Everyone dispersed to their first period classes and I headed off to Geography.

____

"I overheard Darcy talking to Charlie earlier today. You'll never guess what I found out," I overheard Stacey talking to London in Geography.

"What?"

"Well, I heard them talking in the hallway so I hid behind a nearby classroom door. They were talking about meeting up and Darcy mentioned the bus stop near the orphanage. I live nearby and my mum is always up to date with people moving in nearby and in the past year, nobody's moved in."

"And?"

"Well, that got me thinking. Since nobody's moved in this year and it's the bus stop near the orphanage, maybe that's where she moved too. And then it made sense why she likes cripple so much. She walks home with him and always spends time with him. So she's an orphan like Chase and that's why nobody has seen her parents yet."

"So?"

"What do you mean so? We can ruin her London. I doubt she wants anyone except cripple over there to know her precious secret," they both turned to look at me and laughed.

I lowered my head down as I kept doing my work. I worried for Charlie as I knew how people would treat her after they found out she was an orphan.

____

I was going past the canteen when I heard commotion going on inside. I went inside, out of curiosity and saw what the fuss was about.

Stacey was standing on top of a table, head high with a smug smile dancing on her lips.

"Hey everyone!" She shouted. The canteen became quiet, everyone staring at her.

"You'll never guess what Oakville's perfect, little soccer girl is. Come here Charlie, why don't you tell everyone your secret."

Charlie paled and looked as if she was about to burst into tears. Her lips were starting to tremble as she gripped onto her bag tightly. People pushed her up to where Stacey was standing and rumours were spreading quicker by the second.

"Who would've thought that this perfect girl would actually have big problems? I didn't think she'd be an orphan. Who knew that she doesn't have a family? They had to die because of how perfect she is since nothing can ever be perfect. Should've died with them instead of ruining this school. Nobody likes you Charlie and nobody ever will. Don't mess with me again," Stacey stormed past everyone and walked out of the canteen, like nothing had ever happened.

All eyes turned to Charlie whose face was completely drenched in tears. She ran away, sobbing loudly before the chatter started up again.

I tried to push myself past the crowded canteen as fast as I could. Numerous sounds of laughter and rumour spreading was heard around the canteen and would probably be the gossip of the school for a while afterwards. When I got out of the canteen, I started the long search for Charlie.