Chapter Seven | Return To School

Chase

School was hell. Plain and simple. It was hell going to and it was hell being there but it wasn't hell coming back. The only shit thing about it was that you had to go back the next day. So when I woke up on that dreadful Thursday morning I was depressed about going back to the hellhole I call school.

My phone rang, blasting out the loudest song I had, as its alarm, at 7:30 am. I groaned grabbing my phone and pressing the snooze button before lazily putting it back on top of the table and rolling over on my stomach. I closed my eyes, not wanting the torture to begin again.

When I realised that I sat up and pulled the blanket off of me, exposing my pale, non-working legs. The hot breeze blew past my cheeks and I was thankful that I slept with only boxers on. I lifted myself out of bed and into my chair, making sure I was settled before I pushed myself over to the cupboard where my clothes and uniform were.

I took out my uniform; black shorts and a white button-up shirt with the school emblem on it. I placed the two pieces of clothing on my lap and set off pushing myself towards the bathroom. I went in then proceeded to get ready for school.

Once I came out I pushed myself to my room, grabbing my black Jansport school bag and my black, leather converses. I put the converses on and slung the bag on the back of my chair, starting the long, torturous day ahead of me.

I pushed myself into the kitchen, seeing Miss Lancy making breakfast in her teddy bear apron.

"Morning Miss Lancy," I replied, my voice still hiding a bit of sleepiness.

"Good morning Chase, looking handsome for the first day of school," she replied smiling.

I looked down uncertain of what to say, "uhh, thanks," I replied nervously.

"Don't be nervous honey, it'll be okay," she assured me, kissing my forehead.

Miss Lancy would probably be the closest motherly figure to me. She knew kids bullied me and she did want to seek help but I refused. I told her that even though they've treated me like shit most of my life, they didn't deserve to go to jail. She knew about some incidents, but not all. She knew about a few of the major incidents as she was called to school to get me. After these incidents, she would take care of me and tell me encouraging words, but I knew in my mind that even though she said that it would be okay, it honestly wouldn't be.

I looked over at the clock above the kitchen counter, 8:21. I needed to get going or I would never make it before the bell. It normally rung at 8:45 and it took over 15 minutes to get to school. Even though I had longer than 15 minutes to get to school I knew that once inside the school it would be overly crowded as everybody would be reuniting with their friends.

I reached for a banana, munching it down quickly and chucking the peel in the bin behind me. I then took a sandwich and a bottle of water, stuffing them into my bag.

"Have a nice day Miss Lancy," I called out, starting my way towards the door.

"Wait, Chase," she called back.

I turned around at her request and looked up at her.

"Could you look out for Charlie at school? I mean you don't have to hang out with her or anything but could you just keep an eye on her?" Miss Lancy asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "if I have to."

She smiled at me warmly, "you're such a good boy, why can't people see that," she sighed.

I turned around making my way towards the door again when she called out, "oh and have a nice day Chase."

I opened up the door, rolling onto the porch, then closing the door behind me. I breathed in a deep breath and exhaled afterwards before rolling down the ramp and onto the pavement. The next 15 minutes would be torturous.