Chapter Twenty-Five | Date at Sydney

Charlie

"Chase, wake up!" I shook the boy awake, early, two weeks after the awards night.

Nothing, apart from studying hours upon hours after school and on weekends, occurred. The only other thing being the end of term exams happening halfway through September. Which were bound to start the following Monday.

"What?" He said groggily.

"Wake up. The final's on today."

"What final?"

"The soccer final. We're facing off against Burwood and we're going to watch."

"Are you playing?" He asked, turning around to face me.

"No, but I want to be there to support the team."

"Then what's the point. If you're not playing I see no point in getting out of bed this early and freezing our asses off to watch the team play. And you know how much the guys hate me, why should I support them?"

I came closer and lifted the blanket off of him. He looked cute, his eyes half-shut and his hair the usual messy.

"Do it for me? Please?" I gave him a fake pouty face.

"Stupid game, makes me miss out on beautiful sleep," he mumbled under his breath.

____

Burwood ended up winning in an intense match, 1-0. I was very disappointed and it didn't help that I was watching when I have mostly played all my life. The coach was happy to see me at the match as I hadn't been to training since before I broke my leg. Joseph took losing the worst. The second the final whistle was blown, he dropped to his knees like a person praying for mercy.

When Monday came around, exams started and socialising became the least of our worries. All Year Eleven could talk about were exams, how they went and if we studied. After school and on weekends all we did was study for the exams as the following term we'd be in Year Twelve. These exams determined our grades and many teens were either high on coffee or high on stress.

Relief flooded over me when the spring holidays came around and school had officially ended for the next two weeks.

____

"Charlie?"

"Hmm?"

"Why do you like me?" Chase asked one day whilst we were sitting on the bench, at the park.

"I like you for many reasons Chase. Why do you ask?"

"Curious. Do you want our date to happen this weekend?"

"You really haven't done this before," I chuckled.

"There's never been someone as amazing as you so yeah, I've never had to ask girls out."

I felt my cheeks turning red, "this weekend sounds great," I smiled.

"This weekend it is."

____

"Are you sure you have everything?"

"Yes Miss Lancy, we have everything. Now can we please go? If we miss this bus, we miss the next train and it'll take forever until the next one arrives." Chase complained.

Miss Lancy sighed in defeat and stuffed two more sandwiches into the bag that was hanging from the back of Chase's chair.

She kissed the top of our foreheads and sighed. "Be careful you two. The city's dangerous and make sure to keep close at all times."