Chapter Six | Australia Day

I didn’t know where that burst of confidence came from. I was usually a confident person, not afraid to speak to strangers or speak in front of a large crowd but whenever I was sad I zoned out from the world turning into this shy, awkward girl. Especially since it was as painfully sad as this situation.

I had been scared to face Chase from the day Olivia and I had barged into his room which was only yesterday. He had seemed mysterious from the moment we walked in. He intrigued me and I felt part of myself want to get to know him.

There was a knock on the door and I instantly sat up. One of the other girls in the room called out, “come in,” and the door opened.

Miss Lancy appeared, closing the door behind her, coming towards my bed and sitting down on it facing me.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” She asked, concern shown on clearly on her features.

“I’m alright,” I said, looking down at my hands, looking back up after a few seconds.

A sad smile was stretched across her face not truly believing my words.

“Well, I’ve come here to let you know that we need to get yours and Olivia’s uniforms for school.”

“Now?”

 “Yes, I think now would be the best time since school’s starting next Thursday.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Let’s go,” she said, standing up and started making her way towards the door.

I stood up, walking right behind her and down the stairs.

Just before we went into the living room, she stopped in front of Chase’s room and ducked her head in, my eyes following her. He was sitting at the study desk and was working on what seemed to be a drawing.

“Chase,” Miss Lancy called out.

His head shot up at the sudden voice, “yeah.”

He looked flustered, by Miss Lancy and me coming into his room. His face soon turned into the normal blank look. His hair was a bit messy and his eyes seemed to darken to a really dark shade of blue.

“Could you look after the children while I’m gone,” she asked sceptically.

He looked down sighing, “If I have to.”

She walked in further whilst I stayed where I was.

“Thank you,” Miss Lancy said, going up to him and kissing his forehead in a motherly way.

She walked back over to me and out of the room. I turned back to look at Chase. His eyes were on me, that blank look still on his face. I looked at the drawing on the desk, noticing how pretty it looked. Tall, dark trees scattered around the border coloured in dark browns very similar to his hair. A path went through what looked to be a forest, a small, timid looking elf with blue hair and eyes walking through it with what looked to be a rusty sword and a bag full of things.

“Cool drawing,” I blurted out.

“Thanks,” he said looking back at his drawing.

I took that time to exist and walk towards the front door where, soon enough I found Miss Lancy waiting with Olivia.

“Charlie!” Olivia screamed out running towards me.

I picked her up and hugged her close to me.

“I missed you,” she said innocently.

“I missed you too,” I said back.

“I made lots of friends,” she said grinning at me.

“That’s nice,” I told her.