Chapter Thirty-One | Make-Out Sessions Perfect Storms and Chaotic Shopping

Charlie

A bunch of screams sounded, waking me up. I quickly sat up and looked around confused. Then I realised that I was only in my bra and blushed. I looked down to see Chase still sleeping, hugging the pillow close to him and looking as adorable as a little kid.

Lightning flashed through the room, thunder sounding straight after, shaking the orphanage in a weird way. I quickly ducked back under the covers, hugging a sleeping Chase.

"Hmm. What?" He mumbled sleepily.

A shiver racked through my body as thunder sounded again.

Chase opened his eyes and looked at me. He looked like a baby animal who had just woken up. He yawned and rubbed his eyes tiredly. "What's wrong? Why were people screaming?"

I shrugged, not knowing the answer.

He yawned again and sat up. The thunder sounded again, shaking the house as he got into his chair and set off towards the door.

I stood up, my legs shaking as the thunder sounded again. I closed my eyes and breathed out, telling myself that I was safe and that the lightning couldn't get me. I opened my eyes and went towards the cupboard where his clothes were, pulling out a black Converse shirt and pulling it over my head.

Lightning struck, lighting up the room, the thunder rolling in afterwards. I forced myself to not hide underneath the covers but to actually go into the living room to see what the chaos was about. I stepped out of Chase's room and slowly crept into the living room.

The amount of screaming, shouting and chaos that met my senses astounded me. I went over to Chase, who was looking at the sight in horror near the TV.

Miss Lancy came into the room full of children, tired and worried. "Everyone listen!" She shouted, the room dramatically dropping in volume. "The power went out because of the storm. Now there will be no shouting or running around. You'll all behave and you'll get along. We'll stay in the living room together and everything will be okay? Any questions?"

No one dared to question Miss Lancy. We all nodded our heads and started to form a circle, as if it wasn't the first this had happened. Even Chase, who I think hasn't witnessed this in a long time joined in. I saw Olivia talking to Tom and it was pretty cute to see the two of them hitting it off.

That afternoon we spent time talking with each other and spending time together as if we were one, big, dysfunctional family.

____

The following Monday as we were eating dinner, Miss Lancy told everyone to be quiet and to listen to what she had to say.

"Everyone, as most of you know, around this time of the year we hold an open day for couples to adopt children from our orphanage. The open day will be this Sunday and it is the biggest chance you have at getting adopted. Now I want all of you to be on your best behaviour as it will be open to the public. Does anyone have any questions?"

A few kids put their hands up, uncertain about what Miss Lancy had just said. I was just hoping that I wouldn't get adopted this Sunday.

After dinner I went to study with Chase for an upcoming English exam. He was sitting on his bed, our notes in front of him as I sat on his chair, my legs propped up on the bed frame, moving the chair back and forth.

"So tell me Chase, what is belonging?" I asked playfully.

He smirked. "Belonging is when you're here with me, especially when we kiss."

I let out a chuckle, soon after realising that he meant he wanted to kiss. I stood up and sat down beside him. He looked at me, eyes dark, and hair as messy as it always was. Suddenly, he leaned forward, closing the distance.