Chapter Twenty-Eight | Hospital Trips

Chase

"Who called?" Sam asked.

"My friend."

"Charlie, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I need to go, we need to go," she got up quickly and started walking towards the door.

"Charlie, calm down. What's wrong?" I tried again.

She sighed, "Something's wrong with Darcy's sister."

"Darcy?" Sam questioned. "What's her last name?"

"Hines, why?"

"Thought so. She's my cousin."

"What?" We both exclaimed.

"If something's wrong with Holly, we better go quickly." Sam said.

He scrambled to his feet, with the help of his walking stick and readjusted his glasses.

As fast as I could, I sat up and climbed into my chair. The three of us set off for the front door, trying to sneak away without getting noticed.

"Sam, where are you going?" His mum called out from the kitchen.

"Uhh, walking my friends home," he yelled back.

His mum came to the living room from the kitchen and eyed the three of us. "Sam, you hardly ever lie to me and I know this is one. So you better tell me where you three are going, or else I'll force it out of you."

His mum looked as terrifying as Miss Lancy and it made me think if all women were this scary when they got mad.

Sam raised his stick in the air, "We need to go mum. This is an emergency and you're wasting our time. Something's happened to Holly and Darcy called Charlie since they're friends. Now please, we need to go."

"Holly? Our Holly?" She questioned. She quickly took off her apron and grabbed the car keys by the TV. "Hurry up kids, we better go."

"Thanks mum."

____

The second Sam's mum parked the car, the three of us scrambled out of the car as fast as we could. Sam and Charlie raced off towards the entrance of the hospital, leaving me alone with Sam's mum.

"Dear, do you need a hand?" She asked.

"No, I'm okay," I said, grabbing my chair and setting it up. I then lifted myself into it and closed the door behind me.

"Oh, you poor thing! Leaving you alone like that. Teenagers these days."

"It's fine," I said, pushing myself towards the door.

Sam's mum led me to where we found Sam and Charlie comforting a crying Darcy. I pushed myself to the spot in front of them to see what was going on.

I nudged Sam, who seemed to be lost in his thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"Something's going on with Holly so doctors are in her room now," Sam explained.

I nodded my head and looked over at Charlie who was hugging Darcy, whispering things into her ear.

Sam's mum sat down next to Sam, pulling him into a hug. Sam, somewhat relaxed in his mother's arms and laid his head on her shoulder.

At that moment I felt like I wasn't needed since I didn't know Darcy too well. I turned around and looked around the waiting room, many more people occupying it as well. Doctors and patients were walking around the hallway as if it were their own home. A few children played, wandering around, probably exploring the place.