Chapter Three | Not Normal

Chase

It was summer holidays, but I wasn’t out like normal kids were, I stayed in my room most of the time, rarely coming out. I stayed in my room as I liked being by myself, enjoying the silence and the turning of pages. But it did get boring and after a while I would draw anything that came to my mind or go to the local park alone. I sometimes imagined going there with friends, playing around and running around, catching a ball, but I knew it wouldn’t happen.

I didn’t have any friends at school neither did I have friends outside of the neighbourhood, I just didn’t have any friends at all. People didn’t like me as I wasn’t like a normal teenaged boy. They judged my physical appearance before they got to know me and it was the main reason for me being so lonely.

I was a paraplegic and was confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

I was reading a book, when I heard a door opening and closing. I heard some talking over the noise of the children playing. I sighed, knowing it was another child who just got sent here to live until they got adopted. I went back to reading and it was peaceful for the time being.

A few minutes later, a small girl runs into my room and I look at her curiously. It isn’t long before an older girl, who looks to be her older sister walks into the room. She stares at me, curiously I find myself staring back at her.

She had light brown hair that went halfway down her back in natural waves. Her eyes were green, similar to the colour of fresh, spring grass early in the morning. The girl was wearing dark blue jeans, similar to the ones I was wearing. She had on a New York t-shirt, and fully black converses, the same ones I was wearing but with orange socks. She was pretty.  

“Sorry,” She muttered before dragging the smaller girl with her out of my room.

I shrugged, and looked back down at the book I was reading.

I kept reading my book for a while before Miss Lancy called for lunch.

I never came out for meals either. I didn’t eat with the other kids as they teased me for being the way I am. The last time I had eaten at the table was when I was 12 and the other kids teased me so badly Miss Lancy had cried a few tears. I stayed emotionless at the time to show them that I wasn’t effected by their taunts and teases, but on the inside I was a mess.

As the years went by the bullying got worse so I just stopped eating at the table altogether. Miss Lancy would usually save me some and bring me the food after the other kids had finished eating.

I heard a knock on my door, Miss Lancy coming in straight after.

“Hey Chase, here’s your lunch,” She said and handed me a plate of two Nutella sandwiches.

“Thanks,” I said roughly, my throat being dry from the lack of talking I did.

She started walking away when I called, “Wait, Miss Lancy.”

“What’s wrong?” She asked worriedly.

“Can I go to the park after I finish lunch?” I ask, wanting some fresh air, that I haven’t had in a while.

“Of course, just be careful, you know what kids at the park are like,” she sighed.

“Thanks,” I said once again and she walked away.

I quickly ate the lunch before pushing myself over to my bed, with the plate in my lap, where my phone and wallet were. I grabbed them and stuffed them into my pocket, before pushing myself towards the kitchen and placing the plate into the sink. I quickly pushed myself towards the door, going unnoticed by the other children and rolled down the ramp to the orphanage.