The Laugh

BUCKYS POV

"Of course we're close. He's my best friend. And yours, so I'm sure you know it's not like that for us." Y/N stated. She started to seem fed up. I guess suggesting her going for Sam was kind of ridiculous, they had the most platonic friendship here. But with him, she would be safe. The only person I would trust more would be....

"What about Steve?" I stood firm. There's no way she'd say no to him.

She didn't say no. She burst out laughing. Loudly. Like I said the funniest joke she had ever heard. "Steve? You think Captain America, the super soldier who could have anyone he wants, would want me? You're funny, Buck." She crossed he arms and rolled her eyes. Does she truly not know how special she is?

"I think he would, I'll talk to him." I insisted. If she had to be with someone, if that's what she needs. There's no one better than Steve. She'd be safe. And he would never hurt her. Physically or emotionally.

"What?" She still hasn't said said no, but I didn't expect her to.

I couldn't help but smile at her pure shocked face. "I'm setting you up with Steve. How's tomorrow night? He'll pick you up."

I watched her expression go blank. I have never seen Y/N so stumped, without a comeback. "Okay." I flashed her my best smile before walking away.

I walked back to the party and no one looked my way except for Steve. He raised his eyebrow questioningly and I motioned for him to follow me. We walked outside to the balcony and he put his hand on my shoulder. Steve never pressured me to talk, he was always content to just be there with me. I couldn't have asked for a better best friend, which is exactly why he's the perfect man for the job. I turned and looked at him, "Steve, you're taking Y/N on a date tomorrow night."

He took a step back from me, confused. I really was surprising everyone tonight. "Uh, what are you talking about Buck? I'd never go after her, I know how you feel-"

"How I feel is irrelevant. She's... with Loki right now and she can't be. I don't know what they're doing together and god I hope it's nothing like what's happening in my head right now." I clenched my fists as the sound I heard her make before I knocked replayed in my head. "But if she needs something more than a friend. I need it to be you that gives it to her, that's there for her. If she's with someone. I need it to be someone good, Steve."

"You are good, Bucky. You, yourself. The man who's loved her since she showed up. Loved her enough to avoid her instead of being selfish. Loving her enough now to throw her at your best friend. And you know she feels the same way after the night-" I gave him a glare. "The night that we don't talk about, right. Just think about this, buddy."

I sighed, "I have thought about it. This is the only way she stays safe, Steve. It's the only way I can keep her safe." There was silence before I forced myself to smile at him, hoping it was believable. "Tomorrow, 7PM, don't be late. And bring her flowers, daisies are her favorite." He chuckled and I took that as a yes and walked away. Banishing myself to my room for the night, hoping Y/N had an uneventful night, but doubting it.