The Appointment

My alarm went off at 7, and Bucky got up to turn it off. He climbed out of bed, whispered "Morning doll, I'll make us some coffee." He started to walk towards the door. "Wait... Can you have coffee?"

I smiled. "According to Bruce, one cup a day max." Bucky nodded and walked away. I used the little bit of alone time to get dressed. I pull on leggings and a t shirt.

Bucky came back just as I pulled my shirt down. "Hey! Are you even allowed to dress yourself?" He put my coffee on my night stand.

"I'm pregnant, not disabled, Buck. I'm fine." I sipped the coffee. He remembered just how I liked it.

"Fine, but let me put your shoes on. Boots?" I nodded and he grabbed them from my closet and put them on, lacing them tight. He looked up at me and I melted as his eyes met mine, then quickly looked away. None of this was fair, to him, to me, to Loki... I spent so much time avoiding Bucky, I hadn't even really thought that I did still have feelings for him like this. Or especially how to deal with them.

He got up to sit next to me and sipped his coffee too. We sat in silence until it was time to leave.

At the appointment, I filled out the paperwork and Bucky shook his leg nervously. "You don't have to come you know, I can do it alone."

"I told you" he spoke, grabbing my hand. "You're not doing any of this alone." The nurse called my name and we walked back to the room. I sat on the table as Bucky looked around at all the pregnancy things in the room, his eyes wide. I giggled at how nervous he looked.

There was a knock at the door before it opened. "Hi, I'm Dr. Gray, nice to meet you. Y/N, right? And is this is the father?" She shook my hand and then reached for Bucky's.

I hesitated. "No, the father is... he passed away. This is my... friend. James."

"Glad you could be here then, James."

"Wouldn't miss it." He smiled back at her.

We went through the typical questions. Things getting uncomfortable when she asked about my sexual history, including the last time I had intercourse.

"Okay so based around your last period you should be... 10 weeks. We're going to do an ultrasound now, okay? This might be cold." Bucky took my hand as she put the gel on my stomach before rubbing the Doppler around. She turned the screen to us and we heard a repetitive noise. "That right there, that's your baby. And that noise?"

"Is that the heartbeat?" Bucky spoke. I looked over at him and he had tears in his eyes. He must've been already regretting this, I knew it. There's no way he could've looked past the fact that I'm carrying another mans baby. This was all just a mistake. I took my hand from his and he looked at me questioningly.

"Can we have pictures? My best friend will kill me if I come home without them. Honestly, as many as you can give me. We have a big family, they're all going to want one." Dr. Gray smiled and printed them out.

After the appointment, Bucky walked me to the car, opening the door and helping me in. Once he climbed in and started the car I just blurted it out. "You don't have to do this, you can take it back. I get it. It's a lot. Sam will be around and Tony, I'm sure Thor-"

"Hold on. What are you talking about?" He turned the car off and turned to look at me.

"I saw you crying... it's really fine, don't hurt yourself over this. You don't owe me anything."

"Y/N. I was crying because I heard the heartbeat and it was the most amazing noise I've ever heard. I don't care that the baby's not mine. The baby is yours. It's half you. And I love you. So of course I'm going to be there, as much as I can. For every single second you let me. Sam and Thor can be uncles, hell, Tony can be grandpa. But I want to be this baby's dad, Y/N."

"You... You love me?" Everything he said gave me mixed emotions, I didn't know how to react. I wanted to lean forward and just kiss him, just lose myself in him and be happy. But the instant I thought that, I felt immense guilt. How could I do this to Loki?

"I always have. Nothing's changed. There's just another person for me to love now." He started the car and we drove home in silence.