Call From the Lawless Lands

Li Lanfeng was inside their shared room taking a call from his brother back in the Lawless Lands.

The conversation was normal until he remembered something.

"Shiyu?"

"Yeah?"

"Tell the others that I'm extending my stay here to three months."

"What!?" What was his elder brother saying? "Why did you extend it? Did something happen?" Li Lanfeng would never pull something like this out of the blue. So where was this coming from?

Li Lanfeng scratched the back his head while looking at his younger brother. How was he supposed to tell him that he got married by accident?

Hearing Li Lanfeng's silence he knew it was a big matter. "Brother, what happened?" Li Shiyu had a stern look on his face. He wasn't going to stop pressing the matter until he got his answer.

Seeing the determination in Li Shiyu's eyes made him realize that he wasn't getting out of this one. So with a nonchalant look he asked his brother a question.

"Would you believe me if I said I got married?"

Li Shiyu stayed silent for a moment. His brother? Get married? He didn't believe it.

"Brother, tell me you're joking. You've been pining over Ling Lan for years. There's no way you would give that up so easily." After two to three years of seeing his elder cousin brother sticking to their boss like glue Li Shiyu got used to it and even believed in their relationship.

There was no way Li Lanfeng gave up that quickly.

Li Lanfeng saw that his younger brother didn't believe him and told him of the events that had transpired for the last week. He even showed him the wedding band that was given to them by the inn.

Li Shiyu was in a daze. "Its really true." His elder brother was married!

"Don't tell anyone about this. Not even Lou Chou." He glared at Li Shiyu. He knew how easily Li Shiyu would spill everything to her if he got the chance. Might as well nip the bud early on.

"Okay, I get that, but did you stop loving boss?"

If Li Lanfeng was anywhere near his brother he would give him a hard flick on the forehead for even thinking about it.

"Of course not!" Li Lanfeng was irritated by his brother. "Just give me some time to solve this."

"What would the Li family say if they heard this?" Li Shiyu couldn't imagine the consequences.

"That's why you can't say anything to anyone. No matter who it is!" Li Lanfeng looked straight at Li Shiyu. "Do you understand?" He couldn't stress this matter enough.

"Okay, I've got it." He sighed, "I'll see you when I get back." Li Shiyu ended the call with his brother.

Li Lanfeng sighed and decided to wash up before he went out the room. Once he exited the bathroom he saw Xixia passed out on the couch. Her aura was soft and gentle. It made people relax instantly. A smile made it's way onto his face at the sight before he caught himself. He seems to be doing that a lot recently.

He walked over to her and was about to tap on her shoulder to wake her up but the moment he saw her face he paused. No, he was dumbstruck by her beauty. Why didn't he see it earlier? Ling Lan had subdued her aura beforehand in order to not draw attention to herself. She most likely forgot to put this front back up when she was sleeping since it was only her and Li Lanfeng in the apartment. Her actual beauty was on the same level as her comrade, just with a different type of enthralling charm to it.

Li Lanfeng forced himself to snap out of his trance-like state and turn away. A light blush occupied his face out of embarrassment and guilt from staring. He didn't even question why he couldn't see through her 'wall' the first time they met. Without looking directly at her he tapped her shoulder.

It didn't take long before Ling Lan opened her eyes. Ling Lan woke up but was still a little drowsy. She was still laying down when she started to rub her eyes to wake herself up a little more. Ling Lan looked adorable in her present state.

Li Lanfeng turned back to see if she was awake since he heard no response from her. The moment he looked at the person on the couch he immediately faced the ceiling.

'Cute.' That was the one word that popped up in his mind. He couldn't handle Ling Lan's cute appearance. So far their were only neutral, funny or smiling expressions on her face, some even slightly seductive. So with her guard down, full beauty on display, her lovable expression completely overwhelmed his emotions.

He was glad that he still had his mask on, knowing exactly how disastrous the furious blush that crept up on his face looked. Little did he know Ling Lan could see his ears quickly dying a deeper shade of red. She just decided not to question it.

After calming down his heart and the heat on his face, though some stubbornly refused to disappear, he was able to face his partner.

"Coming in the room?" Li Lanfeng offered.

"You know, the couch ain't that bad. I can stay here for the night." Ling Lan was saying this out of pure laziness and unwillingness to get up, as she rested her hand under her head.

"You still have to wash up and change." Li Lanfeng could see that she was saying that out of pure desperation to not move.

'I'd rather you stop coming up with excuses for me...' Ling Lan looked at him with blamed before getting up with zero will to do anything.

Li Lanfeng watched as Ling Lan sighed as she dragged herself into the room. It was a comical sight. Did she really feel that lazy?

She quickly washed up and changed into a night robe before laying herself on the bed half asleep. Li Lanfeng was already sitting on one side of the bed. At this point in everything Ling Lan didn't care about the other body beside her.

Li Lanfeng on the other hand was the one who couldn't rest. Although the lights were off he was sitting up, his mind was fully occupied with thoughts of how he was going to explain to Ling Lan that he got married. Ling Lan had his way of finding out about any and everything. If Ling Lan was to ask him about it, how should he respond? Would he be mad? Even though his fears were irrational they were still there plaguing his mind.

Although asleep, Ling Lan still sensed his deep discomfort. This can't go on. She held back a sigh and turned to him. She pushed him down on the bed with her right hand.

Li Lanfeng was shocked with the sudden action. He looked at the hand on his chest then to the owner on his right. She was looking directly at him even with the mask on.

"If you're going to worry about something, worry about it tomorrow. At least try to sleep." Ling Lan didn't know what was going through his mind but she could tell it had to do with the marriage. But that didn't matter. They could deal with it tomorrow.

Li Lanfeng looked back at her, unable to speak. Her eyes were slightly drowsy but firm.

Reassuring.

His gaze lingered on her face for a bit. She made him feel safe and calm. It was a familiar feeling, something he was addicted to, but he didn't dwell on it. With his thoughts escaping his mind his tense body relaxed and he slowly fell asleep. Ling Lan waited for his breath to even out. She stroked his face admiring the peaceful sight before taking back her hand.

"Good night." With one last glance she went back to her side of the bed and fell back asleep.

The night ended with two bodies laid next to each other in a comfortable silence, completely relaxed in each others presence.