Chapter Two: Magical Boobytraps

The cool night breeze brushed against my cheeks as the door closed after me. I'd taken the back exit to avoid being seen by the lady in the bar and didn't regret it. I didn't realize until then that my stomach was churning. I felt green. Gritting my teeth, I slung my purse over my shoulder and rubbed my wrist. It was hurting like I'd cut myself on that broken glass. I looked down at my left arm and froze. 

    It looked as if someone had drawn a circle around it with some ink. Thin, dark, and straight. I rubbed at it, licked my thumb, and tried again. It didn't budge. And it hurt every time I tried, as if the skin was sore.

   I wracked my brain, but couldn't think of any reason why that would be there. Noah was right, apparently. I was sleep-deprived. Shaking my head, I headed around the back of the building toward the bus stop. The streetlights were just now flickering on, the sun setting over the city. My red converse gently padded down the alley. Usually all I heard were cars. This time, I heard voices. Normally I wouldn't have cared. However, the topic caught me off guard.

   "...braided hair, tattoos, and aura? Yes, I'm positive, Calida."

   "Forgive me for being sharp, but I do not want to lose her." The new, feminine voice had a funny accent to it. "She will not escape again."

   Before I could decide it was a bad idea, I ducked behind some crates and held still. If I wasn't sorely mistaken, they were referencing the creepy lady like she was a criminal.

   "What do you think, Alexie?" The first voice, that of some guy, asked.

   There was a faint pause. A quiet, thoughtful voice replied, "She's daring us. Sitting in plain sight and making sure Marrok saw her? She knows that we won't engage when she's not alone."

   "So she's just going to hop around in plain sight? She has got to have a game plan."

    "I'm sure she does," murmured the guy she'd called Alexie. "She has a card up her sleeve."

   "No idea what?"

    "Pray I'm wrong."

    I frowned and leaned back. They were being so vague that I wasn't getting any information. What were these people, anyway? They spoke like they were from a different country or something.

   "Hold on. Calida, has she moved?" It was said by the guy with a rougher voice. Mark, or something like that?

    There was a pause. "No. She is still inside."

   The third person interjected, "What is it, Marrok?"

    "I'm sensing something. It's like she's just over there. Diluted, but there."

     What? The heck was he talking about? However, I wasn't given time to think about it. Footsteps slowly headed my way. My eyes widened and I cursed mentally. I'd really rather not deal with any more crazy people today, thanks! Turning, I tried to sneak down the alley and away, but my foot knocked into some broken glass.

   In the silence, it might as well have been a gunshot. I snapped my head over my shoulder, locking eyes with the guy. He was tall, lanky, and pale. He wore something like the things I'd seen in the Harry Potter movies. Greys and silvers and blacks were brushed across the surface like storm clouds. The hood was drawn over his head, only letting me see the sharp chin and thin lips. Everything about him was sharp and thin. And somehow, he terrified me more than the woman inside had.

   I am not dealing with two crazies today! Nope! Without hesitation, I jumped into a sprint. The woman swore. "Marrock, shift and go around to cut her off!" I ignored them and turned the corner, getting whacked in the face with a stray part of fence. There was a sting from where it cut into my cheek. I ran between the building and fence, feet slapping the ground. My heart thundered when I realized they were following me.