Chapter Twenty-Two: Your Days are Numbered, and I'm the One Counting

The party was absolutely amazing. The music was great, the people hilarious, and the food delicious. I found my father near the food, right where I suspected he'd be. He beamed at me and offered to twirl me. I laughed and snagged some food from his plate. He scowled. "Hey, back off. Get your own."

   "This is mine now," I defended myself. He waved me off. "Go have fun. I think that blonde is flirting with you." He was looking at Harley. I looked his way and shrugged as Dad took a sip of his drunk.

   "I'm pretty sure Harley's gay, Dad."

   Dad spat out his punch and coughed. I broke into laughter that was so hard my stomach hurt. He spluttered and wiped down his face. "W-What?"

   "Oh, my god, my face hurts." I wheezed.

   "Jeez," groaned Dad. "You kids these days. Oh, shut up!" 

   That didn't help my laughter. I slowly staggered away, trying to see straight. Harley frowned as I finally got to the group. "What's the matter with you?"

   "Oh, old people are hilarious."

   "Isn't that your dad that you just called old?"

   "Absolutely." 

   "Hey, look who I found!" Blue returned with Liam. Liam scowled. "You didn't find me. You spilled punch on my shirt, asshole."

   "Because you were flirting with that random person!"

   "I was not!" Liam protested. "That was a reporter that somehow got inside. I told her to leave."

   "A reporter?" I frowned. "Why?" I definitely didn't like that.

   "Just wanting some gossip, probably. Now, let's move! Dancing time, ladies!" Liam grabbed Ashley's hand and pulled her away. Blue turned to search for Layla. I grinned at Ashley as she mouthed help at us. Allie snickered until Winston grabbed her hand and followed. I jerked my head at Harley. "Come on, let's scare my dad some more."

   He obeyed as we moved to the dance floor. "Why would he be scared?"

   "Because I told him that you're gay."

   Harley burst out laughing. I was a bit surprised that he wasn't offended and gawked at him. "You're not mad?"

   "Why would I be?" He chuckled. "It's not like you're wrong."

   "What?" He broke down and I smacked his shoulder. "Holy crap, I thought there was no way! I did not see that coming."

   "Exactly my plan, sweetheart."

   I jabbed my heel into his toe. He howled between pain and laughter. I grinned. 

   Life was good

   Life was good. I forgot all about my troubles for a while and just enjoyed myself. That included 'accidentally' spilling punch on Harley once I saw him looking at a strange boy near the bathrooms. After that, I may or may not have started an eating contest between Ashley and Winston. Ashley won.