Chapter Thirty-Six: Gah

The occasional pricks in my arm were unfelt as I read the piece. I had to admit, as I finished up, that I was impressed. The article wasn't bad. Though the reporter had neglected to mention that I was Dani's source. I knew that she'd seen the mark, because she'd taken a picture of it, but she hadn't brought it up. I wasn't sure why.

   "Well, not bad."

   Dr. Gerald pulled the final piece of debris from my leg. I hadn't even noticed when she had switched from my arm. "Not bad at all. That quickly became the hottest online article in the North American continent."

   "How did you know I just got back from the Ghost Realm, then?"

   "Rumors spread. There were enough people at that party that rumors -- such as your departure to the Ghost Realm -- started to circulate. There was also some rumors that Darhk had taken a human source, Alexie Albers was actually dead instead of missing, and that you were nearly killed multiple times. No one's sure."

   I didn't bother to confirm any of those rumors. I just nodded slightly. Dr. Gerald picked up her staff and tapped my arm. Within seconds of gold light, the slashes stitched together and scarred over. Pink skin faded into just a little lighter than the rest of my arm. I flexed my elbow as she did the same to my calf.

   As the flesh knitted together, a sharp zap of pain went up my leg. It jerked involuntarily. Dr. Gerald lifted her staff away, disgruntled. "Ah, I had hoped that redness wasn't an infection, but I was wrong. Hold on, it's a different spell. It's quite literally going to shove the infected blood and dead cells out of your leg. It's not going to feel good."

   I gave her a deadpan look. "I've been walking on this leg for two days. I can guarantee you, I'm not going to fuss over that." She nodded absentmindedly, focusing on my leg. I felt the pain she had warned me about, but I gritted my teeth and locked my leg down.

   Blood pooled from my leg and she waved a hand dismissively. It glided in droplets into the sink. That was a little disturbing. Once my leg had drained of the bad blood, she healed it fully. The scars on it were disconcerting. I could see the outline of the crythal's teeth and when it had pulled through my calf muscle. The muscle itself was a little weirdly-formed. 

   A few minutes later and my back and foot was done, too. I jumped off of the bed before Dr. Gerald dismissed me, making her push her chair back. When I got onto my feet, nothing hurt. I almost felt light. It had been days since I didn't want to die every time I took a step.

   "Much better," I exhaled. "Thanks. Also, how much do magick hospitals charge? Are you guys as mean as human hospitals?"

   She chuckled. "Don't worry about it. I'll write your expenses off."

   "Thanks. I owe you one." I bounced on my toes and cricked my neck. I was reveling in the fact that I could move properly. "Happen to see my friend? The tall, black-haired guy with slashes through his side?"

   "He should be finishing up soon, too. You can wait in the lobby for him."

   I grimaced. "If you were able to recognize my face so easily, I'm not sure I want to be in public sight."

   "Fair." She stood up. "I'll send Nina in here once he's done. Will that work?"

   "Perfect."

   "Alright then." Dr. Gerald offered her hand. I shook it and she smiled widely. "I won't breathe a word that you were here, either. Don't need to touch that reputation you already seem to have."

   I chuckled and shook my head. "I honestly don't care what the public thinks. Say whatever you want."

   The doctor shook her head in amusement and left the room. I bounced on my heels again, pleased. I stepped to the corner and grabbed my staff, noting the top was still covered in blood.

   The moment my fingers connected with the wood, raw energy poured into my body. I sucked in a breath, having to close my eyes in order to shut off the involuntary crimson magic. I felt the potential magic coursing through my blood. It pulsed through my grip on the wood. The faint thrumming of the barrier hummed in the back of my head, heard without any actual sound.

   Alexie hadn't been joking. A personalized staff . . . after being in pieces less than a hour ago, just by holding the staff, I felt as if I could take on the world. I opened my eyes again, noticing my hands were still faintly tinged red. 

   I almost didn't want to let go of it. Shaking my head, I tossed it gently up. The staff vanished as it was placed into the gap, safely tucked away. Just as it vanished, the door opened and a young girl held it open. Tate thanked her and came inside. His hand rubbed his arm absentmindedly, but all of his wounds were healed. The dried blood on his skin was still eerie. I somehow doubted I looked any better.

   "You heal up alright?" He asked me.

   "Yup." I bounced again. "Back to normal."

   There was an awkward tension between the two of us. It was obvious why. We had made a deal -- that I'd get him out of the Ghost Realm. At this point, I knew he wasn't some spy or traitor. And I'd done my end of the deal. We were both out of there and back in the Mortal Realm. There was no point in us sticking together anymore.

   "Well," I said, deciding to get it over with. I had mixed feelings about him leaving and I had no idea why. "That's that, I guess. I got you out. Just as you asked."

   "Yeah," he muttered, rubbing the nape of his neck. "You did. I owe you my life."

   "I think doing CPR repaid it, Tate. You don't owe me anything."

   He bobbed his head. His expression turned sheepish and my eyes narrowed. "Uh oh, what do you want?"

   "I'm willing to make another trade,"

   I squinted at him. "Why?"

   "Because a mage is the fastest way to travel, and I need to get to my parents."

   "Oh, so I'm just a taxi service?" The tiny, bazaar shred of hope I'd felt in my gut tore itself apart. As a result, my tone was harsh. Did he seriously only see me as a tool? After all we'd been through in the Ghost Realm? I found it hard to believe that he just wanted to use me to get to his family. 

   Tate pursed his lips. I shook my head. "I'll take you there, but not because of some deal. Just because we're friends, Tate." At least, I thought we were.

   "That's not all, Roxie. Dani knew where my parents lived. If she really felt as if I could be of use to her, she'd go after them. I want to take them to Death Valley, to where the Enforcer training camp is. I wanted to ask if you could help protect us until we got there."

   Oh. Now I felt stupid. Turning away, I muttered and shook my head. "Gah. Yeah, sure. But that's going to take a second. I've got to check on my dad first. I might even take him with us, too."

   "Okay." Tate nodded. "Then let's go. The faster we can get them to Death Valley, the quicker they're safe."