Chapter Sixty-Seven: You're Kinda on My Bed

"We've got a problem."

   Jennifer appeared through the wall, startling Tate and I. Daniella rematerialized from the gap. After another hour of practice, she was able to get through to the gap much easier. 

   "What is it?"

   "Gene hasn't responded." Her cheeks were empty of color. "It's been six hours. He's never been silent for this long."

   Considering I've never heard the man speak, I find that hard to believe. Tate grimaced. "You don't think that he's been compromised?"

   "What else could it be?" She gritted her teeth. "I have to go to Anchorage with Zain. I hate not going to find him. Here is the last message he sent me." She handed over her phone. I looked at the last few messages.

    (12:15 p.m.) Gene: That was too close. Even without Roxie here, Dani's strong. She sensed I was there. I got out of range, but I can't get that close again.

   (12:16 p.m.) Jennifer: Then gather what information you can within the base. How many they have, their numbers. Anything is helpful.

   (12:16 p.m.) Gene: Way ahead of you.

   (3:41 p.m.) Gene: They haven't cancelled their plan to attack Anchorage. It's been changed from nine this morning to noon in three days. Dani doesn't seem to care that she doesn't have Roxie. Something has convinced her that Roxie is going to come to her and that Dani doesn't need to worry. It might be the man that's the other leader -- his name appears to be Kingsley. His behavior is off. I'm investigating him further. But at least we have a deadline: noon on Thursday. They're sending someone inside to break down the Council's door and then Dani will break the rest of the defenses. 

   (3:41 p.m.) Jennifer: Shit. We're still waiting for Roxie to wake up. Depending on how much she was able to figure out, she might be able to confirm or deny all of this. 

   (3:45 p.m.) Jennifer: Gene? How are you doing?

   (4:30 p.m.) Jennifer: Gene, answer me. I need to know that you haven't been compromised. What's going on?

   (6:00 p.m.) Jennifer: GENE. Send me ANYTHING to confirm you're okay. 

   There was a message every half-hour on the nose after that with Jennifer checking in on him. There was no response from Gene since 3:41. I handed the phone back, grim. "That doesn't look good, I'll give you that much. But he was able to give us a date. We have a deadline."

   "What if it changes?" asked Jennifer sharply. "What if we are preparing too late?"

   It didn't take Tate's faint brush against my arm to understand. Jennifer was stressing over her husband. She was too wired. I pursed my lips. "We don't have a choice, do we? We already have less than seventy-two hours to prepare for her forces."

   Jennifer handed the phone back to me. She'd enlarged the font on the messages, maximizing one message to show on the screen. Dark letters, green background. 

   (10:26 a.m.) Gene: They're calling themselves the Dark Stars.

    Tate blew out a breath. "Well, that's happy."

   "I don't like this," said Jennifer. "They're organized. Determined."

   "That's why we're doing this." I stood up. "You're welcome to leave if you want, Jennifer. This isn't a Council-ordered operation, anymore. You can go AWOL."

   Her jaw clenched. "I'm not leaving. Not until I have my husband." With a sharp turn, she walked back through the wall. 

   Daniella shook her head. "I still can't really believe we're doing this." Snapping her staff back into place, she sighed. "I'm going to bed. See you two in the morning." She took her exit, closing the door after her.