Chapter Sixteen: Killer Headache

Happy Easter to those who celebrate! As my gift, here's an extra chapter :)

   The five of them were chattering in excitement, but all I could hear was the ringing in my ears

   The five of them were chattering in excitement, but all I could hear was the ringing in my ears. Blue grudgingly handed over Liam's bet money. Allie was still laughing as Winston mimicked the look on Karen's face. "That was flipping epic!"

   "Sure," I groaned, snagging my room key and swiping open the door. Something slammed shut and I blinked a bit, confused, until realizing it was probably a draft closing someone else's door. The other five didn't seem to care. 

   "Wait, didn't you--?" 

   "Sorry, guys, but I need a nap. It was cool and all, I get it, but I've got a killer headache." And without looking, I closed the door. There were some mutters until I heard Allie start whacking heads. "Shut up! Come on, let's get something to eat." And then they were walking away.

   I sat down hard and tugged at my shoes. It felt like my head was stuffed with fiberglass cotton balls: light but sharp. I writhed out of my shirt and kicked off my jeans, collapsing backwards and not even bothering with the cover. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell asleep.

   Some time later, I opened my eyes. It had gotten dark outside. A sharp breeze cut through the open window. I sat upright and rubbed my bleary eyes. My head still ached enough that I knew I needed some more sleep. It was better, but not enough.

   I yawned and swung my legs over the edge. After snagging the plastic cup by the side of the bed, I washed down some room-temperature water and scrunched my nose at the feeling of my dry tongue. My eyes shifted to the window and suddenly my hackles raised. It had been closed when I went to take that nap... 

   Suspicious, I lifted my hand and conjured magic. The crimson didn't glow very much, but it did provide enough light for me to move towards the window. The clouds obscured the quarter-moon and basically everything else. I leaned forward and peered outside. Nothing but the breeze moved. Frowning, I leaned back inside and stepped back, grasping the window. Just as I started to close it, something rattled behind me.

   I swore with surprise and spun in a circle. The sloppy crimson spike flew and hit the wall, causing the mirror to shatter and rain to the ground. A shadow surged forward, knocked aside my second attack, and then hands tightened around my throat. Long fingers dug into my windpipe. I rasped in panic, beating at their face and jerking with my head.

   Sharp nails cut into my neck. Stars danced in the corner of my eyes. I tried to conjure my magic, anything, but it sparked out every time. My back hit the wall and the attacker pressed harder. Strangled sounds left my lips as I bucked my hips and raked my nails down their face. Pain sparked across my own and suddenly I was released. I tumbled to all-fours and coughed, almost vomiting onto the ground.

   The other person coughed hard. Their breaths rattled almost as much as mine. I lifted my head, a shaky hand throwing forward a rope of red for their throat. The figure knocked it aside with ease and rose to their feet, staggering for the window. I scrambled upright and put my hands together, power pooling into a rough shape, and launched it at them. They jumped out of the window and my paralyzing spell soared past them. However, I was able to see their face.