Chapter Seventy-Nine: Ha!

Simone bought airplane tickets and we arrived in Montana a day later. The rental car wasn't really able to handle the rough roads we took, but we managed to get there anyway. Simone never doubted me or asked any questions besides, "Turn right or left up here?"

   Somewhere in the forest, I finally located the building. I'd used the nearby landmarks to navigate, but it had taken several hours. Alexie's cabin sat untouched in the small cove of trees and mountains. My heart wrenched as I walked up the door. The curtains were closed, and the lights off. Jaw tight, I tested the knob. It was locked. Of course it was.

   Shaking my head, I fished through my pockets. Rifling through the crumpled dollar bills and receipts, I didn't find it. "Got a bobby pin?"

   Simone pulled one from her pony-tail. A stray hair poked free. Her face pulled in annoyance, but she handed me the pin. I bent it apart slightly and worked it into the keyhole. My lip set in my teeth in focus as I felt the first half hit the sweet spot, and then began to twist the pin to unlatch the bolt.

   There was a flash of white. Simone yelped as I was thrown off of my feet. My back hit the dirt, but a bizarre grin spread across my face. Simone watched as I got up, chuckling like an idiot.

   "Why the hell are you laughing?"

   "Because nostalgia just hit me like a brick." At her look, I added, "and he's alive. The protections on his house would have faded, just like his protection on me did when he blocked his own magic. Someone with white magic returned to safe-guard his home. Considering I'm probably one of the only magicks that knows where this house is, it's safe to say it was Alexie."

   Something that had been festering in my gut eased. As I looked at the door, I felt relief ease over my nerves like a cool blanket. At the same time, I didn't understand. If Alexie was alive, then where was he? Why hadn't he returned? Was there something else wrong?

   The next time I saw him, I was going to punch him. Hard. What the absolute hell? There had to be a damn good reason for his distance. I'd taken on all of Dani's goons and Dani herself, and hadn't seen Alexie's hide once. I'd gone through so much pain, physical and emotional, just to avenge his death. And he wasn't even dead, all that time. He never had the audacity to show up. Did it not occur to him that showing up might've been a good idea? What an asshole.

   Then again, he wouldn't be Alexie if he wasn't annoying.

   I looked down at my hand and focused. I hadn't been able to conjure any magic since the fight, but it had been over two weeks. I had healed by now. To my relief, the faint vibrations returned to the back of my head. Crimson tendrils swirled around my fingers. It had taken a long time, but some of my energy was back. Looking back at the door, I reached for the knob, but hesitated.

   Eventually, I lowered my hand and the magic faded. Simone frowned. "I thought you wanted to get inside."

   "I . . . dunno. It just doesn't feel right." I shoved my hand into my pocket. "When I first discovered magic, I spent hours trying to get through this same spell to get out. That was my whole goal. Now, standing here, I want in. It just . . . It just feels better to leave it be."

   I honestly had no explanation. Nothing I could say would let Simone understand. It didn't feel right. 

   "Deep," she remarked dryly. "So you dragged me all the way out here for literally nothing?"

   I gave her a cross look over my shoulder. "Jeez, Simone. We just confirmed that the Mage of the Century is alive. Isn't that enough?"

   "Considering I've never met the dude, no."

   Something nagged at my gut. I shook my head and looked at the tree-line, wondering why the hairs on the back of my neck suddenly lifted. A faint breeze rustled past my cheeks, though I didn't see anything else rustle in the wind. My eyes narrowed as I shifted my foot back slightly. Simone caught the movement and paled. "Shit. You did that last time, when the people broke into my house. What's wrong?"

   "I think someone followed us." I raised my hands to my chest level and lit them. Faint light trickled through my fingertips as the magic swirled around them slowly. "Might want to get behind me." I still didn't have my staff -- it'd been broken in the gap -- but I didn't exactly need it.

   She didn't hesitate to skirt between me and the house. I stepped forward, raising my voice. "Show yourself, coward."

   A figure emerged from the trees. My eyes skimmed the unfamiliar face, but I recognized the posture. Enforcer. Had to be. 

   "And an Enforcer is following me, why?" I called out, annoyed. 

   The Enforcer looked skeptical. "A warrant has been issued for your arrest. Certainly you know that."

   Simone's breath sucked in, but I didn't even blink. I groaned and dropped my head. "Dammit." A few more Enforcers trekked out of the trees, effectively surrounding me. I eyed all of them with a frustrated look. 

   I'd known that the Council would want to have a chat, but I didn't think they'd go that far.

   Sighing, I lowered my hands. The magic disappeared. "Don't need to look so uptight. I've been waiting for them to summon me. I won't attack you for being ordered to follow me. From Nevada, right? You staked out my best friend's house." My lips pressed. Who had told them that Simone was my friend? 

   They shifted uneasily. Bingo. I grunted. "Fine. If you don't mind leaving Simone alone, then I'll come with. But if you so much as try to restrain me, I'll break your arm." 

   Simone flat-out laughed with a barked, "Ha!"