Chapter Forty: What an Outfit

I had a really bad feeling about splitting up. Something in my stomach twisted at the thought. Dad was already heading for the front room, ready to go, but I balked. Tate saw my expression and shook his head. "My dad's as stubborn as you are. He's not going to budge."

   "If he's just as stubborn, then you know I won't, either."

   "Only when you have reason to budge, yes, I know. But he's right. We need new clothes, and we need to clean up. When else are we going to have a shot?"

   I looked at him sharply. "We?" He acted like he was coming with me after I dropped them off at Death Valley.

   Tate pursed his lips and looked towards where his parents had headed toward their room. Realizing he didn't want them hearing, I grunted and marched towards the front room. Dad opened his mouth to speak. I grabbed his arm, tucked the staff under my arm, and snagged Tate's wrist as he got closer. 

   Seconds later and we appeared outside the mall. Dad spat out another cough. Tate shook his head at me. I let both of them go and tossed away my staff. "Yes, Tate?"

   His eyes flicked at my dad. I narrowed my gaze. "Really?"

   Tate nodded. What did he want to be so secretive? I didn't understand. Annoyed, I looked at the front doors to the mall. They opened at six. A check of Dad's watch said it was three minutes until they opened. The sky was very faintly pink. Seeing as it was early September, I suspected that the sun would be rising within the next half hour.

   Cold air nipped at our skin until a mall worker appeared at the door. She'd been halfway through a long sip of her coffee cup when she saw us. Her eyes widened and she choked on her coffee. Right. I'd forgotten my clothes were covered in blood and shredded. Tate's were, too. And Dad was wearing Super Drama Llama pajamas.

   She fumbled with the lock and pushed the door out. "Y'all aren't criminals, right?" Her voice was so thick with a Southern accent that I had trouble figuring out what she'd said.

   "No."

   The girl shook her head. "Just don't rob the Starbucks and I won't care." She pushed the door further open. I snagged the side and pulled it wider, stepping inside. Stores were just now starting to open up. I caught sight of a store I knew I could fit into the clothes and headed that way. Tate followed, his bare feet padding on the floor. 

   "I'm just going to grab a change of clothes," I said. Tate nodded, handing over the debit card. I disappeared into the store, making a bee-line for the clothes.

   I ended up snagging a pair of cargo pants and a random shirt. It was long-sleeved and thick enough to protect against any cold winds. I bought them from a startled guy at the counter and changed clothes in the fitting room. With the old clothes in a bundle, I left the store and dumped them in the trash on the way out.

   Dad pointed down the hall as I approached. They had sat down to wait for me. "There's a Levi's over there. It ought to be able to fit us both."

   I tossed Tate the card. "I only took about fifty bucks. The price of long-sleeved stuff . . . they were thirty-five bucks and the cheapest in the store."

   Tate grimaced. "And we all need shoes, too. A good pair of shoes is fifty dollars alone. Are you going to want another backpack?"

   My hand reached for the strap and met air. Right. It was sitting under the tree in the Ghost Realm. I'd left it there when I went to intercept the hunters. I shook my head. "No. I can store anything I need magically."

   Dad was already in the store. I saw him grab a pair of jeans without looking, snag a random sweater, and hurry for the changing rooms. I sent Tate an exasperated look. He shrugged and entered the store.