Chapter Seventy-Two: The One Thing

I dropped Fole's body near the front line and left him in possession of Captain Lugo. Daniella and I made our way to the edge of Anchorage's barrier. We were still unable to see anyone outside. I wiped my arm slightly to rid it of the blood as Daniella closed her eyes, preparing the invisibility spell.

   Once she nodded, we clasped forearms. A bizarre feeling of pins and needles raced across my skin. My vision gained a faint purple tint. Daniella exhaled. "We can't be seen, heard, or scented. Ready to make the link?"

   I'd had no way to practice this beforehand, because my magic had only returned a few hour ago, but I nodded. Fastening my staff onto the clasps on my back, I focused on creating a rope. Daniella watched as the threads of red wove themselves into a thin line. I looped it around her wrist and tied it off on mine. 

    "There. I tried to weave some of your spell in, but I have no idea if it worked. Even if it doesn't, if you pull hard enough on this rope, you ought to be able to force me out of the gap -- just in case Dani locks me in. The rope will expand to accommodate any distance. If Dani suddenly shows up and her magic is amplified, do not hesitate to yank me out of there."

   I wasn't sure how much I liked having my ability depending on Daniella, but we had no choice. It was our only plan in case Dani found me.

   "If you got my spell in there," she added, "then your presence will be diluted. I'm not sure how much. This link . . . it's never been done. If it works, then no one should be able to sense your presence unless you stay too close."

   The coms in our ears crackled to life. "I'm about to take down the rune. They'll be allowed in. You have about thirty seconds." Zain's voice died.

   The blood visibly drained out of Daniella's face. I wasn't sure mine was much better. We both started moving towards the edge of the road.

   Captains Lugo and Tyson barked out orders quickly. The Enforcers took their positions in squadrons, shoulders squared and eyes focused on the road. I could see Mark and one other Councilman in their midst. They blended in because they wore the same armor as the Enforcers, but if the Dark Stars knew the faces of the Council members, then they'd be sought out. And the Council members knew it.

   My stomach churned with apprehension. Daniella and I finally halted, arms still clasped. Subconsciously, my breath stuck in my lungs. My eyes were glued to the road, waiting. The road was completely silent while we waited for the illusion to fall and reveal our foe. They'd be expecting the whole protection to fall, taking the Enforcers' power with it. Little do they know...

   It felt more like ten minutes than thirty seconds. It fell in the form of golden lines of magic appearing like latitude and longitude marks. They hovered midair between us and the road. Slowly, they started to disintegrate. The lines fell apart into sparks, vanishing before they hit the ground.

   The illusion fell gradually. Figures darkened into view until the sight was clear and stark against the daylight. My heart sank.

   Magicks. At least a hundred of them, standing in perfect line before us. All wore the dark spandex/armor with the purple stars on their chests. Some had staffs, some had swords. My eyes flicked down the lines of fighters, dread pooling in my stomach. I couldn't see any wooden bracelets. I couldn't see any.

   Daniella's hand tightened on my arm as she realized the same thing. My breath caught in my throat. Shit. Shit. It was the one thing we couldn't have. All of them were dark magic users. Every single one of them. 

   Every Dark Star member was ten times more powerful than an Enforcer, and they outnumbered us three to one.

   "We're fucked," whispered Daniella hoarsely.