Chapter 29: Frat Parties and Strangers

I try to focus on the movie as the loud music runs through my ears. Ethan's roommate is having a "get together" tonight. This is normal for the weekends in this house. Being here is driving me crazy, but it's not as bad as it seems. All of Ethan's friends are extremely nice. When Ethan isn't here, they're constantly checking in with me. It's embarrassing to be in my situation, but this was the only solution. I can't go back to my mom's house. I won't burden Imani with my problems. I barely see her anymore, I don't think it would be appropriate to ask her for help.

The door opens and Ethan walks in with a bowl of popcorn. I smile and sit up, getting it from his hands. "I'm sorry about the noise." He laugh. 

I smile back, eating a piece of the popcorn. "It's okay. I can almost drown it out with the tv."

He sits down next to me, "I'm sorry you're in this mess, Kat." He frowns.

"It's okay. I love her, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just wish it was simpler." I look down at the bowl. "But I'm sure it'll all be worth it."

He nods. "Have you decided on-"

"No," I shrug, "I just want to do what's best with her. And I honestly think I should go back."

I don't want to be with Colby. I know he loves us and I know he's somewhat committed. But, I hurt him. He hurt me. We aren't good for each other, no matter how much we think we are. I haven't said a single word to him in two, almost three weeks. It's frustrating, but it's better.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with my preeclampsia. The doctor prescribed me with a low dosage of Aspirin which will help my blood pressure stay low. They said I most likely will carry to full term, which is amazing news. If I have anymore complications, they will induce me.

"Well, I'll leave you alone." Ethan smiles, "Do you need anything else?" He asks me.

"No, this is perfect, thank you." I smile.

He smiles and begins to walk out the room.

"Hey, E?" I call.

He turns around, "Yeah?"

"Seriously, thank you for everything." I smile.

"Of course."

***

My door opens quickly, causing me to jump out of my sleep. My eyes adjust and I see a man standing at my doorway. I can't make out his features, all I see is his outline.

"Hello?" I ask.

He walks closer, not saying a word to me. I lean over and turn my lamp on. When I face back to him, I notice he has a black mask on his face. My heart begins to race when I notice another.

They look at each other before launching at me. One grabs my arms while the other slaps duck tape on my lips. I try to mumble through it while I try to thrash from them. They tighten their grips on my arms, leaving a burning sensation.

"Be careful bro." I hear one of them say. He looks at me, as if he was saying sorry.

I roll my eyes and let them have me. They're not trying to hurt me. They help me up and lead me out the house, putting a blindfold on me. I feel myself being sat in a car. They take the tape off my mouth slowly. The two men start to make a detailed plan about what they want to do with me.

"I still think this is a bad idea." One says.

"You think?" I mutter, moving my head the way I heard the voice.

"Look we're really not trying to fuck with you, okay?" The other says.

"Can I at least know what the fuck is happening?" I ask them angrily.