Chapter 13: First Look

I lay my bags on Colby's bed. At the moment he's talking to his mom downstairs. His parents don't know about the baby yet, so all of this is coming to a shock for them.

I hear a knock on the door, Colby's mom coming in with a smile. "I wanted to talk to you," she says. I nod my head and sit down on Colby's bed. I'm not too close to her, nor do I know much about Colby's family in general. I've only met them once, very briefly. Even then, I didn't meet any of his siblings. The truth is that I don't know much about Colby at all. I know his parents don't get along too well, but that's it. I don't know anything about him.

She shuts his door and sits next to me, staying silent for just a few seconds before looking at me with a smile, "I just want you to know you're welcomed here. I know this is a big deal, and I know you're probably really scared." I nod my head at her words, my eyes tearing up slightly. "We don't judge in this house, we're here for both you and Colby. Okay?" I nod my head again, she opens her arms to me, pulling me into a close hug.

"And I want you to know that we support any decision. We've never regretted adopting Colby, so if you decide adoption is a good idea, we can do that. Is there anything else you need? Have you been to the doctor?" My mind wraps around her words. Colby's adopted? I stare at her for a moment, before responding, "I-I haven't. I don't really-"

"No worries, we can take you. I'll go call my doctor and get an appointment at their practice. And you don't have to worry about billing your insurance, we can pay out of pocket for it."

My eyes widen, "A-are you sure? I mean I'm sure that's really expensive,"

"It's okay, sweetie. You're part of the family now." She grips my hand one last time before standing up. "I'll come let you know when it'll be." She leaves me on Colby's bed, kissing Colby's cheek as she walks past him. He shuts his door behind himself, walking over to his closet.

"You're adopted?" I ask him quietly. He pauses as he takes out a random t-shirt.

"She told you?" He says, his back still turned to me.

"I don't think she knew that I didn't know." I hear a vocal sigh as he throws the new shirt over his head. "I-I'm sorry." I whisper.

"No- it's fine. I just didn't want you to know so soon."

"Colby it's nothing to be ashamed of, it doesn't change you." I get up and walk over to him, putting a hand on his back as I turn his face towards me.

His face drops and he nods, pulling me in for a kiss. I peck him lips and hug him. "I love you," I whisper. His arms tighten around my waste and his head falls in my neck.

He releases me, looking down at my stomach for a moment. His eyes connect to mine again and he gives me a small fake smile. A knock breaks us apart. "Come in," he says. My hands leave him and into my back pockets. His mom leaks her head in, "We have an appointment set for you tomorrow at 4. Is that okay?" She asks me. "Yes, thank you." I smile at her. "No problem."

***

Colby's hand stays in mine as we watch the screen. The doctor starts the ultrasound machine, finding her way around my stomach. Then, we see a small blob, in the shape of a tiny baby. "There they are." The doctor smiles at us as she points to the screen. My eyes water as I stare, Colby's hand becomes tighter in mine.

"That's the baby?" He asks quietly.

"That's the baby," she repeats with a laugh. "Looks like you're measuring perfectly with the estimation. Ten weeks right?" She asks.

"Y-Yes ma'am." I smile. I can't take my eyes off of the screen.

She continues to move around, typing on the screen here and there. I don't pay attention to anything else, just the baby.

"Alright," she sighs. She takes the wind off of me and cleans my stomach. "I'll have the sonogram printed and ready for you at the desk. You guys are free to go." She tells us.

"Thank you," Colby and I speak together.

She nods and leaves the room. I look back at Colby, who's face is red. He smiles at me, kissing me deeply as he stands up. "I'm sorry for everything, I'm going to do better." He tells me.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." I laugh.

"Yes I do. The drugs, the parties, being so angry at you for helping. You deserve the world," he pauses and puts his hand on my belly, "you both deserve the world."