Chapter 21: Space

- Colby's POV -

My knee bounces as I watch the door. Katelyn hasn't been home in a couple hours, nor has she answered my messages. I checked her location, it's saying she's at Imani's, which means she's safe. That's all that matters.

"Colby, I'm sure she's fine." Sam groans. "Can we just go film?"

I roll my eyes, "What if she's not?" I bite my lip I'm worry.

"She's safe, I promise." Sam pats me on the back.

The front door opens and I stand up, Katelyn looking at me as she puts her shoes up. "Katelyn-"

"Can you talk upstairs, Colby?" she asks quietly. My heart drops, but I nod.

I follow her up the stairs, quietly I might add. We both go into my room, she shuts the door behind me before sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Colby, I love you. Don't think I don't, but, we need space. You're right, I'm nosy. I'm clingy and pushy when it comes to things you're not ready to talk about. I don't mean to be, I just have never had someone care about me like how you do. And I want to know things about you so I can make sure I can care the right way. She's going to be here in 4 months, and then we're going to be stuck together forever. I don't want to keep arguing about dumb things." Her eyes tear up as she talks. "I don't want to ruin our relationship because I'm crazy."

I frown, leaning down to her, "You're not crazy, Kat. Like you said, you love me. You just want what's best for me. I shouldn't have yelled at you like I did."

"I know you didn't mean to," she sighs, "But I think we need a break from each other." My heart drops even lower.

"Like b-breaking up?" I ask her, standing up again.

"No, not for good. But maybe I can stay in the guest room for a couple weeks. Just for us to be able to have alone time."

"I can't sleep without you," I frown again.

"I'll be across the hall. Literally right next to you. And if you're having a bad night, or if I'm having a bad night, I'll come in here. It'll be fine." She smiles, kissing my cheek. "I promise."

****

AN: short chapter but I just needed a fill in!!