Season 2, Chapter 6: Fright of Passage

Astrid's axe buries itself into the target. She's been at this for days now. The Flightmare is coming and Astrid wants revenge. As much as I understand wanting revenge, it's starting to consume her. She spends all her time, energy and focus on it. I just hope she'll realize that she doesn't need to prove anything.

"You want some of this!" Astrid says as she swings her axe into the next target. "That's right! Who's next?"

"I'm pretty sure that that's all of them." I say as I lean against Vision who's curled up with Stormfly. I look up as I hear Toothless land and Hiccup dismount.

"Astrid has been killing inanimate objects all day." Fishlegs informs him.

"She's really wound up about the Flightmare." I say with a frown as Astrid goes back to murdering objects with her axe.

"Ha! Too bad she's wasting her time. When the Flightmare comes, the Hoffersons freeze." says Snotlout. I quickly get up and stumble towards Astrid. "Right Astrid. I mean you are a--" I hear Astrid throw her axe and it buries itself inside the stone wall right in front of Snotlout. "Hofferson." He finishes quietly. I hug Astrid around the waist, ready to restrain my girlfriend before she murders Snotlout.

"Ok, ok let's take a deep breath." says Hiccup, trying to be diplomatic. "Just because Avondale's Fire is coming, doesn't mean the Flightmare is too."

"Sure it does." says Fishlegs. "Every 10 years, the sky lights up with Avondale's Fire and when it does, the Flightmare appears. It's spectral glow and banshee-like screech is unmistakable."

"You were saying." sasses Astrid.

"Thank you, Fishlegs." I say sarcastically.

"Your extensive knowledge of the Flightmare is" Hiccup pauses. "timely, if nothing else."

"I do fancy myself to be Berk's leading authority on the subject." says Fishlegs, not getting our hints to stop talking. "Here's a few more fun facts. Legend has it that the Flightmare is so terrifying, it actually freezes its prey in its tracks."

"Yeah, just ask Frozen Fin Hofferson. Hahaha, right Astrid." Snotlout says.

Astrid shouts a war cry and breaks out of my grip. I hear what I assume is Astrid throwing Snotlout, removing her axe from the wall and holding him down with her foot.

"You think it's funny, Snotlout!" Astrid shouts. Her uncle Fin was her hero when she was a child, so when he went from Fearless to Frozen, she feels like her family honour has been ruined. "You think it's a joke how my family name was ruined by that dragon!"

"Well I used to a few minutes ago, but now I see how it might be upsetting you." says Snotlout as his head is being held against the ground.

The Twins then enter, reigniting the discussion about Avondale's Fire and the Flightmare. I start trying to find my way towards Astrid.

"Hate to break it to you, but that's all anyone's talking about." Ruffnut says.

"Well that and Astrid's frozen uncle." adds Tuffnut.

"Hey! A little sensitivity here." Snotlout calls, still being held by Astrid. I finally get to Astrid, putting my hand on her shoulder. "Can I get up now?"

Astrid scoffs and walks away, brushing my hand off her shoulder. She calls Stormfly and flies off.

Oh no, what did I do wrong? Maybe she's just angry about the Flightmare. But even when she's angry, she still responds to me. Oh she doesn't love me anymore, does she? But what did I do?