Chapter 3: Animal House

The snows have come and Hiccup, Astrid and I are riding our dragons down the snowy slopes. We cheer and whoop to our hearts content. Vision directs and I cause problems for the others. I shoot blunt dragon nip arrows to disorient the Toothless and Stormfly. Suddenly I hear a crash. An avalanche is coming towards us. Vision flies up, but Hiccup calls,

"His tail is frozen. Nara, Astrid!" Stormfly flies up, but Toothless still can't.

"Hiccup! We're coming!" We yell. Vision flies down and Hiccup yells,

"Go back!"

"Not without you both." Astrid grabs Hiccup, while Vision grabs Toothless, but it's too late. We're falling, then nothing.

When I come too, I hear the others shivering.

"Nara? Astrid?" Hiccup says.

"Over hear." Astrid says.

"I'll make my way over to you." I say. We're all shivering.

"I'm freezing." Astrid says.

"Gather around and we'll use body warmth to keep warm." I say as I cuddle next to Astrid and Hiccup.

"It's so dark. I can't even see my hands." Hiccup says.

"Welcome to my world." I say.

"Where are the dragons?" Astrid asks. The dragons blast and they seem to be surrounding us. They all blast towards a central part of the roof and then Hiccup says,

"I see daylight!" more blasts and Astrid says,

"We're gonna get out of here."

"Look at what they did." Hiccup says amazed.

"What did they do?" I ask.

"They're protecting us. They spread their wings to make a barrier. They saved our lives." Astrid says.

"Well let's get out of here." I say. The dragons melt all the snow around us and we ride back to the academy and explain what happened to Fishlegs and Snotlout.

"I've never heard anything like that. Not even in the Book of Dragons." says Fishlegs.

"I know. It was incredible." Astrid says, "It's as if their protective instinct just kicked in."

"Who'd believe it. Dragons, who we've fought for years, came to our rescue."

"If it weren't for them, we would have frozen to death." I say

"You could have used your own body heat to stay warm." says Fishlegs.

"We did, but--"

"Hey girls. If you're still cold." He makes a kissing sound. I fire an arrow that hits a pile of snow, causing it to fall on his head.

I suddenly wince when the gash across my eyes sting and I hear a very distant scream.

"What is it, Nara?" Hiccup asks.

"There's going to be a storm. And a bad one at that." I reply.

"How can you tell?" Fishlegs asks.

"Whenever a storm is coming, two things happen. 1) the gash across my eyes sting and 2) Bucket's bucket gets tighter and I can hear his screams. It's gonna be a big one."

"Hey Hiccup, Nara. Your father's looking for you and he looks angry." Tuff walks up and tells us.

"He's looked angry since the day we were born, but I'm sure there's no connection." We say together. We hop on our dragons and fly to Dad.