Chapter 8: Portrait of Hiccup as a Buff Man

Hiccup and Dad are standing for their portrait. The portrait that all chiefs get with their sons to hang with the others. It's like taking a picture of history. Hiccup is on Dad's right side with a shield and Bucket is painting us. I'm standing off to the side.

"Shoulders back, chin up, son. This portrait is gonna hang in this hall forever." Dad says to Hiccup. I play with the end of the braid that Astrid did. My hair is in a braid that comes down over my left shoulder.

I hear Bucket grumble and then walk to us, adjusting some things until he suddenly cries out, "I can't do this!"

I jump and hear Bucket run into a pillar. "Ok, I'm good."

"I've never seen Bucket like this." Hiccup whispers. I only slightly grimace. The monthly depression is almost completely gone, but I still get sad when the 's' word is said. It's kinda like my trigger word.

"Well, when he lost half his brain, he suddenly became an artist." Dad says.

"So he can actually paint?" I ask.

"Oh he's the best. He's gonna do us proud. This portrait is gonna take its place alongside all the chiefs and their sons. That is the only picture of my father and me. It was a great day. And so is this. Chest out, son" answers Dad.

I hear Hiccup take a deep breath, then says, "Yep, this is as out as it goes."

"Ah, very well then." Dad says.

Once Bucket's finished, Dad gets a drink with his friends while the other teens come. We're looking at the paintings of the chiefs and Astrid says,

"Look at all those great leaders and tomorrow, your picture is going to be up there with them."

"Well there goes the neighbourhood." Snotlout snickers until I slug him in the arm.

"You are a part of an elite group now, my friend, and one of the few who weren't killed by their successor," Fishlegs says as we walk down the hall, Astrid leading me.

"So far." Tuff says and I feel him looking at me. I glare at him and don't stop until Hiccup says.

"I guess it is a pretty big deal. It's like being a part of history, right."

"History of goofballs. What a clown." Snotlout says before I slug him in the arm.

"That is Hamish the First. He was our richest and most respected leader. And his son, Hamish the Second." Fishlegs says.

"I'm Hamish the First, bow down before me and kiss my pointy shoes." Snotlout mocks.

I hear the Twins snigger and then Snotlout being pushed and hitting the wall. Something falls and Fishlegs cries,

"Look what you did to the Hamishs. Forgive us please." Fishlegs says.

I hear a piece of paper fall and Tuff says, "What's that? It's probably mine."

"Looks like some sort of map, with poetry." Snotlout says.

"I'll take that." Gobber says as he walks towards us.

"Hey, that's my poetry map." Snotlout says.

"Oh these were supposed to be destroyed." Gobber mutters.

"Why?" I ask.

"What's so special about it?" Astrid asks.

"Men lost their limbs, their lives and their minds trying to find that treasure." Gobber says.