Chapter 4- Ashton

It's not so bad. Living here. The people are nice. The city is clean and friendly. And there's the girl. The one with the big brown eyes that doesn't give me the time of day. I only wish-

"Ashton," my mother calls up to me. I put my pen down and close the worn leather bound journal. "Are you ready? We've got a dinner with our neighbors today."

"Just a minute!" I call down, "Who invited us to dinner?"

"The nice family up the street, they have a daughter your age."

I nod and come downstairs dressed from head to toe tying my tie.

"Who are these people?" I ask her again as dad opens the door for her and she takes his arm they walk to the neighbors house I follow slowly behind them. They walk over to a nice three story stone house with a large front porch.

"I met the lady while shopping today." Mother says as if it should explain everything. And in a way. It did. She always met exotic people when shopping.

Ding Dong

A woman dressed in an elegant dress opens the door and greets us warmly ushering us inside. With a warm smile. Her husband and my father exchange handshakes. The women exchange hugs. "Welcome to our home." She greets taking our coats, we'll my parents coats. "Our daughter will be down in a moment." Shortly after a girl in a pink dress looking rather uncomfortable walks down the stairs with a smile. A fake smile. My eyes widen slightly. It was Luciana from school.

"Luciana," her mother calls her over, "these are the Blakes"

"It's a pleasure to meet you". She says politely. My father takes her hand and as they do in the movies he kisses the back. I do the same and mother gives her a hug.

Before long were gathered in the dining room eating. Or in her case pushing the food around on our plates. She asks her father to be excused and quickly walks away.

"So, where are you all from?" Her mother asks not taking notice.

"All over, my job takes us everywhere." My father replies.

"Why don't we head to the living-room?" Her mother suggests. "Ashton, Luciana is probably in her room, your welcome to go sit with her."

I nod and take my leave heading upstairs. There was only one room with the lights peeking through the bottom of the door. I knock and wait for an answer. Nothing. I twist the knob and push open the door. The window is opened and the light on the nightstand is on. I head for the window. Taking my dress shirt and blazer off on the way.

"Seems like every time I see you you've got your nose buried in your book." I comment. I must have startled her because her head jerks up and looks at me. I finally catch a glimpse of her big chocolate eyes.

"Who invited you up here?" She asks me closing her book.

"Your mom sent me. I knocked. No one answered." I explain. Climbing out and taking a seat.

"Oh," she says putting down her flashlight, "I always liked it out here. It always relaxed me."

"I can see why." I answer looking up at the sky. I feel her looking at me. "Take a picture. It'll last longer." I tell her smirking. Still watching the sky, "So tell me about yourself Luciana Sterling."

"Only if you do the same." She answers.

"Fair enough. What's your full name?"

"The one on my birth certificate, or the one I go by?" She asks me. I give her a curious look. She lets out a soft sigh, "Luciana Grace Sterling. Or the really long one with like a dozen and a half middle names and titles? Ones that I couldn't remember even if I wanted to."

"Mines simple. Ashton Jacob Blake. No crazy titles. Sorry. No fun."

"What's your biggest fear?" She asks. Commitment. Attachment. Falling in love. Leaving people that are important to me behind. What isn't. I open my mouth to tell her when I hear something.

"Tell you another time. Let's definitely pick this back up." I tell her glad to be off the hook. How should I tell her? The better question. When should I tell her?

"He seems like a sweet boy." A voice, must be Mrs. Sterling says as she walks into Luciana's room. With my own mother.

"And your daughter is quiet, but she seems like a very charming girl."

"She's soft spoken, but she'll speak up when it matters." Luciana's mother agrees. "Luce."

"Hi mom," she greets sticking her head back in the window. "Mrs. Blake."

"Is Ashton in here?" My mother asks. "It's time for us to head home.

"Right here mom." I answer peeking my head in. Luciana comes back out.

"Ash! What are you doing on the roof!" My mother exclaims. I climb back inside before helping Luciana in trying not to roll my eyes. I could fence, ride horseback, or skateboard, but sitting on a roof my mother freaks about. Go figure.

"Everything's fine mom," I assure her as she examines me, "See you in school Luciana." I bid her goodbye grabbing my shirt and blazer from her bed as she reaches back out to the roof for her book.

"Yeah, see you in school." She agrees, "Bye." We follow Mrs. Sterling out. I hear Luciana not far behind.

I silently ask myself what am I going to tell her? And what will her own answer be?