Chapter 7- Luciana

The week came and went, it's Friday at five, I pack a few things into my non-school bag.

"Luce, there's someone down here to see you." My father calls down.

I grab my sandals, bag, and Bible before heading down.

"Hi Jonathan." I smile, after spending the week with him, I'd warmed up to him almost instantly, quicker than Ashton, and that in itself was an utter shock.

"Ready to go?" Jonathan asks.

"Go?" My father asks, "Go, where?"

"To the children's church retreat Daddy." I tell him kissing him on the cheek. "I'll see you in a few hours."

"Stay safe Luce." He tells me, "Son, you take care of my baby girl."

"I promise sir." He tells my father, they exchange handshakes, I see a small grin on my fathers lips.

"Bye Daddy." I kiss his cheek once more before we walk out into the evening air. The church isn't far, so we just walk to the church. "He really likes you. And we're not even dating."

"Confidence, a firm handshake, and the brains to ignore the hunting riffle in the corner of the room." He says, "A polite attitude doesn't hurt either.

"You wanna have dinner with my parents and I sometime? I'm sure they'd love to get to know you." I ask, "We're with the Blake's tomorrow, but we could have lunch at the cafe on Sunday. Bring your parents."

"Okay, sounds like fun. I'll ask my mom." He says.

"Welcome to Ridge-Wood Baptist."

"Looks homey." He observes walking to the front door. He opens it and I walk in he follows me inside.

"Lucy!!" A bunch of small loud voices and footsteps sound as the door closes. They all tackle me with hugs.

"Hey kids," I greet them. "How are you all doing?"

"Good!" They all reply.

"I want you all to meet a friend of mine, guys, this is Jonathan."

"Hi!!!" They all greet him with a big group hug.

"Luciana, thank you so much." The kids program director says.

"No problem Stella."

"Who's this young man?"

"Jonathan."

"Great, we could use the extra hands."

"We'll I'm here to help."

"Let's get to work then."

~

"Bye Lucy!" The last kid calls as he walks out with his parents. He stops before running back to me, again. I bend down to scoop him up.

"Bye Galen," I whisper to him. I put him back down kissing the top of his head. He looks over to Jonathan.

"Bye little man." Jonathan squats down to give him a high five.

"I'll see you on Sunday buddy." I tell him.

"Bye!" He says again as his father picks him up this time. His mother latches to his fathers arm. Galen waves frantically as his parents disappear from sight.

"Shall we make our way back?" Jonathan asks me.

We walk back to my house in a comfortable silence the sound of nature filling it peacefully. "I think I had more fun tonight than I would've at the game."

"I'm really glad." I admit, "I honestly thought you'd most likely be bored out of your mind wishing you'd gone to the game instead."

We arrive at my house, the front lights still on. He walks me up to the door. "See you Sunday then?" He asks.

"Sounds good." I agree. "Services are at 8 and 10 Sunday school is at 9."

"See you Sunday," I open the door and he heads back to his car. He waves from behind the wheel of the car before backing out. I close and lock the front door. I stick my head in the living room. "Night daddy. Night momma." I tell them, "I'm heading out early to show Ashton around tomorrow."

"Did you have a nice night with the kids?" Daddy asks.

"Yes. I did. Galen, one of the little boys wouldn't leave he kept stalling for hugs." I tel them, "I'm turning in, I know it's only 830, but I'm beat."

"Night honey." My mom says.

"Night sweetheart." My daddy says.

"Night mamma," I kiss her on the cheek, "Night daddy." I kiss him on the cheek.

"Did he treat you right?" He asks.

"Yes daddy, he walked me to the door and waited for me to open the door before going back to his car, then he didn't drive away until he waved once more and I was shutting the door." I tell him, "I asked him if he and his parents would join us for lunch after church on Sunday at the cafe. He said he'd ask, is that alright?"

"Yes sweetheart. That would be nice to get to know the boy you'll be seeing."

"We're not dating." I tell him walking to my room.

Jonathan: had fun, c u in 2 days.
Me: me 2. Parents said yes. What abt u?
Jonathan: mom said yes.
Me: g2g 2 sleep. C u Sunday.
Jonathan: night Lucy.
Me: night John.

I smile as I remember him telling the kids to call him John because they couldn't seem to pronounce Jonathan. The same reason I let them call me Lucy. I lay down and let myself fall into a peaceful sleep.