Return of the Kings, Part 2

Catherine's POV

I was helping my sister pack all of the vault items into boxes while the volcano continued to shake. Brady was sitting quietly, bouncing his leg, worried, while Boomer was eating a sandwich.

"Not to be disrespectful, but could you two do something? You are the ones who woke up the volcano!" My sister picked at them.

"Which is why I'm quietly eating my sandwich and waiting for it to go back to sleep. I mean, seriously, Mikayla, you think smashing that ruby actually hurt that island's feelings?" Boomer asked.

The ground shook harder and I grabbed onto the table to not fall over.

"That was volcano for 'Duh!'" I yell at him.

I look over to see Brady in the same position he was in earlier. His eyes were glued to the floor and his leg was bouncing. Ever since I gave him my "betrayed" look, he's been like this.

"Didn't you read the book?" Mikayla asked them.

Brady looked up but then looked away.

"You see, I didn't wanna be this kind of king but... don't we have people for that?" Boomer asked.

"Yeah, they were on the first boat outta here!" I retaliated to Boomer.

"Our father fights mummies and warlords to make this island safe for your return and you two can't even read a book!" My sister complained.

"Wait, you guys have mummies and a mountain called 'Spew?' What kind of island is this?" Boomer asks.

"And now we have a king named 'Boomer.'" Mikayla retorted.

"Guys! Stop fighting! We've only got three days before we all die!" I shout.

"Maybe we should talk to your dad about this. He's level-headed. He'll know what to do." Boomer recommended.

Suddenly my dad came running into the room, panicking.

"I don't know what to do! Grab something gold and run!" My dad cried out.

"Was that the big, bad, mummy-killer crying?" Boomer asked with slight panic.

"Man, he hasn't cried since we watched Marley and Me..." I say sadly.

"Now do you believe us?" My sister asked.

Both Brady and Boomer looked at us. Brady looked upset and Boomer looked scared.

"Cat and I have rafts to build! Please don't cause any more trouble!" Mikayla said, dragging me out of the room to help her.

-----

After helping Mikayla build some rafts, I went in search of the kings since no one had seen them for some time.

I went up to their room only to find their backs half-packed and Lanny with a measuring tape.

"Lanny, have you seen the kings? We have to leave." I asked him.

"Last I saw, they ran away screaming to the Dark Side of the island." He explained.

"That doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that?" I inquire.

"Oh, lots of reasons. They're cowards, they're losers, they're idiots. I actually made a list if you want to see it." He offered.

"Lanny, talking about them like that isn't nice. They're just... trying their best." I say, picking up the Yimpapa that the twins gave them.

I suddenly felt bad for being angry at Brady, it isn't like he intentionally broke the ruby... I'll have to ask for his forgiveness later.