Where the Wild Kings Are

Catherine's POV

I won't lie, I was still weak from becoming a mermaid, the magic that I went through, becoming a mermaid and then turning back really drained me. Dad wouldn't really let me do anything anyway but that didn't bother me since I didn't feel like doing anything anyway!

"So what are the kings up to?" I ask out to my Dad.

"They're in search of the island's volcanic vibrating rock." Dad said.

"Did you ask them to bring me back one?" I chuckle.

"... Oh yeah! Totally!" My Dad nervously laughed.

"You asked them to get it for you, didn't you?" I asked him, bluntly.

"Yeah." He admits defeated. I simply chuckled at him.

"Oh, the jester is here! I'll be right back, baby girl. Lanny will be in here soon to watch over you." Dad said, I just nodded.

A couple of minutes passed before Lanny came into the throne room.

"Do you really have to take up the whole couch?" Lanny asked me, his tone annoyed.

"Did you turn into a mermaid and then almost die?" I sassed back at him.

"No, but I did-- AH!." He started screaming in fear.

I quickly jumped up off the couch and pulled out my small knife. I looked over to Lanny only to see him getting hugged by a furry animal?

"Help! I'm being attacked by a giant armpit!" Lanny cried out.

"Pupaley, off." Brady commanded, coming into the room, Boomer and my Dad behind him.

Now that I knew that everyone was okay, I leaned on the table next to me, my exhaustion showing.

"Why are you standing up? Your legs are shaking!" Dad quickly grabbed my hands and pulled me back to the couch where I proceeded to crash again.

"You okay?" Brady asked me.

"Just tired. But other than that, I'm all good!" I gave him a quick nod. I then looked over to the furry creature that stood by the king's side.

"Sorry, my kings, but I've never seen this creature before. He could be dangerous." Dad said.

"Mason, you're dangerous, and we let you stay here." Brady compared but then regretted it. "Uh, he's our new pet and Boomer said we could keep him." Brady quickly passed the blame to Boomer.

"A pet? I'm sorry, Your Majesties, but having a pet is a huge responsibility. " My Dad warns.

"I think we can handle it! Last time I checked, we were running an island here." Boomer retorted.

"Into the ground." Lanny added.

"You're not correct but you're not wrong either." I said, looking at Lanny which made him shrug.

"But with all due respect, you have us to help you run this island. I strongly advise you do not take on a pet." Dad said.

"See, that's the thing, Mason. You make a great advisor. But that's your thing. You advise. And I mean, we appreciate your advice... when we agree with it. But today, not so much." Boomer said.

"Must I remind you of the condition my daughter is in because of you ignoring someone's advice!" Dad said, trying not to raise his voice.

"Dad!" I scolded him.

"We're keeping him. So let us say it, so let it be done" Boomer insisted with a posh accent. Brady continued to remain silent. I could see the guilt building up in his eyes.